REACHING HIGH — AU junior Angelina Waterman goes up for a kill in AU’s 3-1 upset over the University of North Carolina on Sunday. The team is 5-7 after their victory over Loyola College in Maryland on Tuesday.

AU upsets UNC during win streak

Team has three-game win streak

AU Women’s Volleyball had a strong three days, winning two games in a row, including one upset against the University of North Carolina.

AU upset the Tar Heels 3-1 on Sunday, notching their first-ever win against the team. AU won the game with scores of 25-22, 15-25, 25-21 and 25-23.

Much of their success came thanks to strong blocking from senior middle blocker Claire Recht, who finished the game with eight blocks and 10 kills. Recht had strong support from her teammates — outside hitter Angelina Waterman had career-high five blocks, as well as 11 kills. Fellow outside hitter Magdalena Tekiel tallied 10 kills.

AU managed to keep errors to a minimum, helping to keep them in the match. It was no coincidence that the only set the Eagles lost was the one where they committed the most errors.

Tuesday’s game yielded much of the same for the volleyball team, as they defeated Loyola College in Maryland in straight sets. The win improves their record to 5-7 on the year.

AU took the match in straight sets winning 25-20, 25-14 and 25-19. The game was tied at 14 before AU pulled away after kills from junior outside hitter Magdalena Tekiel. She would go on to lead both teams in kills with 13, along with three serving aces.

The Eagles established themselves early in the game, jumping out to a quick 6-1 lead over Loyola. Consecutive block assists from Angelina Waterman and Claire Recht would put Loyola away, giving AU a ten-point lead. AU would finish the set with an 11-point victory, 25-14.

With the victory at Loyola, American extended its win streak to three in a row. American starts Patriot League play of Friday, as the team heads to Lafayette College.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.