Small buys for a better kitchen

So you've done the paperwork, moved in to your new place, hung your posters and made your bed. Now you're off to Target to buy those crucial household items that you've taken for granted all those years you lived at home or in the dorm.

If you're planning on doing any sort of cooking beyond microwaving leftover Chinese food, you're going to need some basic equipment. But don't be taken in by fancy boxed sets of pans, kitchen tools or big blocks of knife sets. A few quality essentials will serve you better than a box full of anything but nutrients any day of the week.

To get you started, here are a few of the pieces I couldn't imagine life without:

Pots and Pans

One, two- or three- quart saucepan. I like stainless steel with an aluminum core -- it'll handle everything from poached eggs and pasta for two to rice, risotto and refried beans.

One large stockpot. These can get really expensive, and you're not going to be using it for much more than pastas, stocks and the occasional stew. Buy the cheapest, flimsiest one you can find.

One seven-inch and one 12-inch skillet. Look for something with sloped sides as opposed to straight so you can master the pan-toss. If you buy non-stick, make sure that it's the more durable kind that can be used with metal tools.

Knives and a Cutting Board

An eight-inch chef's knife. You will use this knife for almost everything you slice or dice. Get one that's forged rather than stamped -- it'll stay sharper longer. How can you tell if it's forged or stamped? The forged blade is noticeably thicker on the flat side. Also, since forged is a major selling point, the retailer or manufacturer will probably be sure to mention it.

A three- or four-inch paring knife. While not essential, it comes in handy for cutting up small fruits and cutting the bones out of meat (learning to do this can help you save money on meat, plus you save the bones for killer stocks). Look for something that's pretty bendable -- it'll help you cut around the bones more easily. Stamped blades are actually preferable to forged for this one.

Cutting Board. Mine is 10-by-14 inches. It's big enough to handle most cutting chores, but small enough that I can pick it up and just dump the chopped ingredients right into the pan.

Basic Tools

Vegetable peeler. Find something with a comfortable grip. I personally prefer the Y-style over the more traditional kind, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Metal tongs. A chef without tongs is like a cowboy without his six-shooter. I've seen line cooks out on smoke breaks with a pair in their back pocket. Except for very delicate items like fish or eggs, pretty much every piece of food that is too big for the pan toss gets handled with tongs. Get a 10-inch pair and make sure that you can squeeze it easily and it springs back quickly.

Heat-proof spatula. Use it for stirring until you learn the pan toss. It works better than a spoon for keeping stuff from getting stuck to the bottom.

Little Extras

Colander/strainer. If you don't have one you can use a large plate or a shallow bowl to drain pasta and vegetables, but for $5 you can get a plastic one and not have to worry about burning your fingers. Also, when I'm making pasta, I like to keep it in the colander while I reheat the sauce.

Food processor. The mini ones are great for making hummus or a small batch of pesto (both surprisingly easy). If you're feeling ambitious, you can also make your own mayonnaise or grind your own beef for amazing burgers. Look for one on sale or clearance for $15 to $20.

Roasting Pan. It's nice to have a big piece of meat in the fridge. A good roast can be great in the clutch, placed endlessly into salads, sandwiches, soups and pastas. The good, heavy metal ones tend to get very pricey. Pyrex seems to offer the best price to value ratio. You can also try using an aluminum sheet pan from restaurant supply store.

A box grater. Don't bother with those flat, flimsy ones. Get one that is made with heavy-duty steel and has a relatively comfortable handle.

Mixing bowls. I don't use them often, but they come in handy when I do. If you only get one, get the biggest one you can find room for in your kitchen.

With these things in your kitchen, you'll never find yourself having to improvise. By the next Chef's Secrets, you will have everything you need to take on even the hardest recipes.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.