Rising bands run local scene

To think of D.C. is to think of following dreams to the White House, Capitol Hill or maybe a lobbying firm. But for every congressional hearing, D.C.'s got a slightly more exciting local concert for you to attend. Sure, possibly for the first time in your life, all of your favorite bands are nearly guaranteed to stop near where you're living, but the music scene in the District has got any touring act beat. Below are some bands to keep an ear on.

The Aquarium www.myspace.com/aquariummusic

Audiophiles know that Dischord defined D.C.'s music scene beginning in the '80s and continuing all the way through the early-2000s break-up of Q and Not U. While the label was and still is home to D.C. hardcore, and the aforementioned dance-punks have indeed stopped the music, The Aquarium have the whole post-post-punk thing down. It's also no accident Laura Harris lends her sticks to the sounds of two bands; she owns that kit. The band has a new single coming out this fall, and possibly a new LP in the not-so-distant future.

Benjy Ferree www.benjyferree.com

Benjy Ferree virtually impossible to compare accurately to any other artist. His sound is part doo-wop, part rock 'n' roll and all passion. Ferree is from D.C. and cites area legends like Chuck Brown and Fugazi as influences. His interests are diverse, and his music reflects that. His latest, "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Bobby Dee Bobby Dee," is a nod to Bobby Driscoll, the child actor who played Peter Pan. With Ferree's fiancée Harris at the drums, its obvious musicianship is at the heart of every track.

Imperial China www.myspace.com/imperialchina

If you were absolutely forced to choose one style of music to define D.C.'s sound (and good luck with that), post-punk would definitely be it, and Imperial China's got it down to a science. They sound like the District, but in a new and constantly surprising way. Like every self-respecting post-punk band, they're angry - that guitar wails, for sure. But unlike the rest, they explore the nuances of that angst and come out with something special.

Midnight Kids www.myspace.com/midnightkidsmusic

It's hard to explain why a band who seemingly have yet to play a gig made this list unless you know about the Apes. Three-quarters of this stellar new quartet are ex-members of the former D.C. stand-out. The passion that made the Apes special is still there with a impressive new twist: more polished, more mature, more, well, Stereolab. The band still owns their beat, but now its down-right dreamy, like Blondie on a Sunday. Midnight Kids have a bright future that is definitely worth listening to.

Noon:30 www.myspace.com/noon30band

Noon:30 could be called D.C.'s answer to The Noisettes. But they're better than that. Their harmony screams polish, the distortion screams garage and lead singer Blue S. Moon just all out screams, or croons. It's beautiful, electronic post-punk pop. "French Song" is sung, unsurprisingly, in French but with a fearless American accent, which makes sense since this all-female trio is all about courageous interpretation.

True Womanhood www.myspace.com/truewomanhood

Missed Sonic Youth touring this summer? You'll probably want to check out True Womanhood. Genuinely like nothing else in the city, the band plays music in a way you've never seen before: guitars bowed with other guitars; a giant metal, well, thing played for percussion. Perhaps one of the District's most experimental bands, their music is definitely some of its most beautiful and complex.

You can reach this staff writer at kpowell@theeagleonline.com.