THREE\'S A CROWD -- New Jersey natives Yo la Tengo are scheduled to hit the 9:30 club\'s stage Sept. 7 with new studio tracks but same dreamy, experimental style. \"Popular Songs,\" their latest studio album and 12th in 23 years. Singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson will also be performing at the 9:30 club this fall.

D.C. venues promise eclectic fall season

MuteMath, Spektor fill line-up

Fall semester is here and along with school comes a great amount of music and talent to Washington. From one-man singer song-writers to once-again reunited emo bands of the 1990s, there are live performances around the D.C. area for anyone. Yo la Tengo, an experimental alternative band from Hoboken, N.J. are touring the United States and coming to the 9:30 club on Sept. 7 to promote their upcoming album, "Popular Songs," which drops on Sept. 8. This is their 12th studio record, and it promises to deliver what spirited fans long for, shedding a new light on the trio that have been making records since 1986.

Coming to the Black Cat this fall and "spreading the J.O.Y." is Jenny Owen Youngs, a singer-songwriter who jumped onto the scene with songs on the popular show "Weeds." Also known for her "girl-feelings" cover of rapper Nelly's "Hot in Herre," Jenny Owen Youngs brings a fresh breath of air with a slight hint of awkwardness to everything she does. She will be promoting her latest record, "Transmitter Failure," at her visit to the Black Cat on Nov. 8.

One of the first bands to be categorized into the emo genre back in the early 1990s, Sunny Day Real Estate, plans to reunite once again with all original members as they tour the U.S., Canada and Australia one last time. During their first tour in almost ten years, they plan to re-release their first two albums, "Diary" and "Sunny Day Real Estate," remastered along with bonus tracks and other extras on Sept. 15. The band is playing at the 9:30 club on Sept. 30, so if you're a fan who missed them in their prime, now's your chance to see them live one last time.

Ingrid Michaelson is one of the many indie artists who broke through to mainstream radio music via MySpace and television with popular songs on "Grey's Anatomy" and "The Way I Am" on a circuited Old Navy commercial. She's promoting her third installment, "Everybody," which was released in late August. The Staten Island native has come out with a more upbeat sound that has been called an assured, polished and agreeable record. Ingrid comes to the District on Sept. 18 at the 9:30 club.

The eclectic Russian-turned-New Yorker Regina Spektor comes to the D.A.R. Constitution Hall on Sept. 21, promoting her summer release, "Far." Known for her inventive, sporadic songs that tell extravagant stories, her new installment brings yet again haunting accompaniment to powerfully poetic lyrics. Imagination runs high in this woman, as does the energy that she is sure to emit during her local performance.

Joshua Radin, a singer-songwriter from Ohio, makes a stop at the Nation's capital Nov. 17 at the Sixth and I Synagogue. From the start of his career, with the help of close friend Zach Braff of "Scrubs," Radin's songs were featured on the hit comedy series over the span of its eight seasons. Describing his genre as "whisper rock," Radin brings light melodies with soft tones and should put on a performance to watch.

Lights Resolve, a trio from Long Island, N.Y., are taking a break from the studio in production of their first full-length record and going on a small tour that will reach the suburbs of the District in Vienna, Va. The trio will have their newly released single, "Dreaming of Love," on the upcoming release of Rockband after winning a national contest of unsigned bands. With Rolling Stone magazine describing them as having "the theatrics and power of Muse mixed with the New York flavor of bands like the Bravery," Lights Resolve are playing the Jammin' Java on Oct. 7.

All the way from New Orleans, MuteMath is promoting their sophomore release, "Armistice." After the release of their self-titled album and a considerable amount of radio play, their highly anticipated album comes with what they consider "improvements and changes" after drafts of 16 songs were all thrown out after much fighting and bickering. Under the direction of producer Dennis Herring (Elvis Costello, Modest Mouse), MuteMath are expected to come back with a bang and are sure to put on an ambient show at Sixth and I on Nov. 11.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.