DIVINE PROVIDENCE - This four-piece band from Seattle recently emerged from the shadows of their more popular contemporaries to find their own voice and their own fanbase with a mix of melancholy and simplistic music. They will be playing at the Rock and

This Providence discover voice, sound

Music is an evanescent entity, and no band knows this more than This Providence, a now four-piece band from Seattle that has had eight different line-ups in a three-year period.

The alternative/indie band's current roster features original members Dan Young and Gavin Phillips as vocalist and guitarist, respectively, as well as David Blaise on bass and Andy Horst on drums.

But the change in lineup hasn't hurt their creativity or chemistry, Horst said in an interview with The Eagle.

"It brings in a lot of different influence," said Horst, who joined the band in 2007. "I know the other guys; they feel the line-up we have now is ... the strongest we've ever had."

The band went into the studio in 2008 to record their appropriately titled newest album "Who Are You Now?" After spending a year in the Pacific Northwest to write the songs for the record, the band rented an apartment in Los Angeles where they were in the studio seven days a week with producer Matt Squire.

"[Squire] helped us get our ideas out without overly influencing us," Horst said. "We spent five weeks in [Los Angeles] ... it was a pretty chill vibe in the studio overall. We all felt comfortable to be creative."

Though Young generated most of the ideas for songs, Horst added that it was definitely a collaborative project in which all members could pick apart the music, keeping in mind their overall goal to create a more toned-down record.

"We really just wanted to approach it like ... not be over the top," Horst said. "I think it's just a feel good rock album. It's fairly simple, straightforward. We tried to ... say a lot by being simple. Sometimes simplicity speaks louder."

The opening track on "Who Are You Now?" effectively follows their blueprint for a stripped sound. "Sure As Hell" is a melancholy tune that showcases Young's plaintive vocals and thoughtful lyrics.

But "Sure As Hell" isn't the only track that hints at the sense of maturity This Providence has come into since their previous self-titled record was released in 2006. "Chasing the Wind" exercises constraint and throws in a Beatles-esque riff for a bit of unexpected texture. A fan favorite from their previous record, "My Beautiful Rescue," also gets a makeover in the new album, giving the previously bouncy love song a more intense, driving feel.

This Providence is currently on tour with Copeland, Paper Route and Brooke Waggoner and will be making a stop in D.C. at The Rock and Roll Hotel this Friday.

"It's kind of a different market than what we're used to playing for, a little bit older," Horst said. "Overall, the tour's a little more mellow, so we kind of stick out a little but hopefully in a good way."

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.