'Horse' sing from heart on deep new material

Brisbane act shows class, thanks fans

An Horse are a simple band with surprisingly complicated songs hidden behind a grammatically awkward name. The two-part band from Brisbane, Australia began as lead singer and guitarist Kate Cooper's solo project but became An Horse with the addition of drummer Damon Cox, an old friend from her record store-managing days.

Touring without a backup band, An Horse do not rely on bells and whistles and intricate guitar lines to get it done. Their unique sound, though admittedly sometimes monotonous, comes from a number of factors that the two have become so insistent upon. The uncommon distortion of Cooper's guitar falls somewhere between the aggressive crunch common to the rock scene and the mellow jangle that characterizes a number of indie bands, while Cox bangs out most of his racing, rolling drum lines with mallets on a tom-tom. Both these factors support Cooper's sometimes simple but emotionally honest lyrics, as the jockey-sized, boyishly charming lead singer belts out her lyrics, making little effort to mask her Australian accent.

Their debut release, "Rearrange Beds" comes nearly a year after touring with indie-dream headliners Tegan and Sara and Death Cab for Cutie and features all five songs from their 2008 EP, "Not Really Scared."

The duo's repertoire for the crowded bar at DC9 included a majority of the songs from their recent release. The small stage on which An Horse played seemed an appropriate venue for the band's basic set-up and two-person sound.

"Company," the set's opener, proved the band's mastery over their technique and sound. Featuring sad-sounding power chords that seemed to hang in the air and extensive stick work on the drums, "Company," a mostly mellow song, surprised the crowd with an unexpected climax toward the end ushered by Cooper's vocals rising in tandem with Cox's aggressive attack on the cymbals. From the first song of the set, An Horse made it clear that they were more than they appeared to be.

The set's most impressive moment was "Little Lungs," a newer song characterized by dissonant minor chords and distinctly emotional vocals. Cox's backup vocals were stronger than in any other song of the set, providing a new depth to Cooper's voice. The effect was a genuinely emotional feel, which was most prominent toward the end when the two split into different vocal lines, resulting in an almost uncomfortable but powerful and intentional chaos.

More than just unexpected, quirky melodies veiled behind simple presentation, the members of An Horse filled time in their eight-song set with charmingly awkward banter between themselves as well as members of the audience. After "Postcards," which featured perfectly coordinated, staccato performances from both band members, Cooper remarked in a deadpan tone, "I'm so unfit that I'm puffing like an unfit person." The reserved singer dropped the ever-popular "Hello D.C., you guys are great" spiel in favor of a quiet, simple "You're very polite" before thanking everyone for coming early to see them.

The members of An Horse are not rock stars or indie idols, at least not yet, and at least not in the way that one would envision either of those things. Rather, they are an act on the rise, perfecting and defining their sound, making a name for themselves. Cooper inadvertently says it best herself in "Camp Out." Over rhythmic, head-bob-inducing chords she sings, "I'm quietly confident."

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.