Efron sheds image

17 Again: B-

Just when you think Zac Efron has finally managed to escape his role as basketball star/theater enthusiast Troy Bolton in Disney's "High School Musical" series, he starts his new film, "17 Again," in a high school gym dancing with cheerleaders and shooting hoops.

Directed by Burr Steers and written by Jason Filardi, "17 Again" focuses on the oh-so-common theme of turning back the clock during a protagonist's mid-life crisis to make them appreciate their wonderful family-filled life.

Mike O'Donnell (Matthew Perry) is 36 years old and utterly unsatisfied with what his life has turned out to be. He gave up a basketball scholarship his senior year of high school to marry his pregnant girlfriend, Scarlett (Leslie Mann) and blames that decision for his less-than-perfect life. Having been kicked out by his wife, shunned by his children and passed over for a promotion at work, O'Donnell is left with no hope for the future. Until, of course, he meets a sketchy janitor that magically transforms him into his 17-year-old self (Zac Efron).

"17 Again" is a unique combination between "Big", "It's A Wonderful Life" and the "Freaky Friday" films. Efron's character must discover the reason for his transformation and make peace with his life in order to change back into his adult self. The film's witty comedy and clever development of awkward family situations help to show the humor of generational differences and the na've beliefs of high school teens.

Although he still wears a basketball jersey and sports an adorable shaggy hairstyle, Efron has definitely taken a step away from his "High School Musical" persona. His character is no longer a pure, sexless creation of the Disney Channel. He doesn't burst into song after getting beat up by his daughter's boyfriend or encourage the entire student body to become friends. He attends parties with alcohol, gets seduced by multiple women and even lets out a few curse words.

One of the film's main characters is O'Donnell's geeky best friend, Ned Gold ("Reno 911"'s Thomas Lennon). Ned is a middle-aged man who still sleeps in a racecar bed but is filthy rich because of his music-theft-prevention software. Ned falls in love with the high school principal, Jane Masterson ("The Office"'s Melora Hardin), and uses his knowledge of "Lord of the Rings" to try to win her affection. This romance is surprising because of Ned's opening line after first shaking Jane's hand: "Wow, I think our hands just made a baby."

Mike O'Donnell's two children, played by Michelle Trachtenberg of "Gossip Girl" and Sterling Knight of Disney's "Sonny with a Chance," give realistic performances of high school students trying to find themselves while struggling with friends and relationships. Efron does a great job of channeling his fatherly love to help his kids overcome disastrous boyfriends and unpopularity. He also gives a convincing performance as an attentive and adoring husband to his wife, played by Leslie Mann of "Knocked Up."

Apart from the first scene when he's hot and sweaty taking pre-game free throws, Efron unfortunately keeps his clothes on for the entire film. Don't make my mistake by going into the theater thinking you will spend an hour and 40 minutes lusting over those Zac-attack abs. Instead, expect some quality close-ups of his flawless face and charismatic acting skills that were absent in "High School Musical." Despite its charm, humor and delicious eye candy, the film is still missing something. A musical number, perhaps?

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.