District's 'Blue Line' channels '90s influences

When Washingtonians hear the words "the blue line," they should no longer think of the Metrorail. Instead, they should picture Ross Jacobson, Ben Payes, Nick Scialli and Dave Chaletzky - the four members of The Blue Line, an up-and-coming local band that's been charming fans with their rocking rhythms, catchy lyrics and charismatic style.

The Blue Line's name comes from the bus route outside of Scialli and Payes' college dorm at the University of Maryland, College Park. The band members originally called themselves 3 Months to Live, referencing their three months left in college, but changed the name after being invited to play at a show for cancer patients.

"We realized then that 3 Months to Live was a bit emo and misleading," said Payes, the group's lead-singer and rhythm guitarist whose vocals sound a bit like Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray. "Here we were, a group named 3 Months to Live, going to play for people suffering from a life-threatening disease. It was insultingly ironic and definitely time for a change."

Since early 2008, the four have been writing new songs, channeling their inner rock stars and developing an image influenced by '90s rock bands like Weezer, the Foo Fighters and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

"Lots of our fans can't really put a finger on who we sound like," said Scialli, the band's blue-eyed bassist, who bears a slight resemblance to the Backstreet Boys' Brian Littrell. "We're just four crazy dudes who love rock music and love to perform. We're sharing our music with the city and are having a blast."

The Blue Line's songs range from head-banging rock numbers to softer love-inspired melodies. The lyrics of "Aranoyas" (sayonara spelled backwards), are clearly inspired by one or more ladies from the gentlemen's past: "You don't have to dance/It's just a precursor to our romance/Call him/Call me/Call him/Call me." The song features impressive guitar and bass solos and portrays the boys as talented rockers who can whip up lyrics full of passion and emotion.

On "Lately," Chaletzky, the band's multi-talented drummer, truly shines by banging out intense heart-pumping rhythms that liven the crowd. Complimenting Chaletzky's party-starting drum playing is Jacobson, the lead guitarist who isn't scared to rock out with some incredible onstage guitar shredding.

"After one show, a girl came up to Ross and asked him if he was some sort of musical genius," Scialli said, laughing with the group. "The rest of us just walked away. The girls made it quite obvious who impressed them onstage that night."

In addition to playing guitar for The Blue Line, Jacobson is a graduate student in AU's School of Public Affairs, working toward a master's degree in Public Policy.

"I'm a fellow student," Jacobson said. "You guys should definitely come out and hear us play. Support our musical cause. Go Eagles!"

The Blue Line boys try to make their concerts a unique experience by incorporating unexpected wardrobe changes, musical interludes and other surprises.

"I'll always be sporting some new sunglasses," Scialli said. "Ross will probably wear his raccoon hat or jump off the stage, Ben might take his shirt off, Dave will go up and guest-play with some other random band. He'll bang his drumsticks against a club window and get people to come in. You just never know what might happen at our shows!"

The Blue Line has several shows coming up in the next few weeks across the D.C. area. On Thursday they will play at Surf Club Live in Hyattsville, Md. Then they will rock out at Asylum in Adams Morgan May 1 and will perform at The Red and The Black on H Street N.E. May 10. All of the shows start at 8 p.m. For more information, visit www.myspace.com/thebluelinedc.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.