WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE - This summer, C-List celebrities will head to the jungle for a new reality television show on NBC, "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" The celebs, including everyone's favorite newlyweds from "The Hills," will compete in a ser

Celebs get dose of reality in Costa Rica

Imagine a reality television show set in the jungles of Costa Rica with its contestants struggling through challenges in hopes of winning the grand prize. Sounds familiar, right? This summer, NBC is airing a show with such a premise, but adding one major twist - the soon-to-be reality stars dropped in the jungle are celebrities.

"I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" is yet another reality show borrowed from the United Kingdom, where the show is now approaching its eighth season. One season of the show was aired in the United States back in 2003, but it did not receive the attention and fan base creators were hoping for. Producers of the show told The Eagle that since then, the world of television and reality shows have changed and they believe that America is ready to watch it this season.

Another twist to the traditional survival show concept is the increased input of the audience. Not only do viewers decide who stays and who goes, they also have the ability to pick the challenges the celebrities will face out in the wild. The "grand prize" also deviates from the norm: instead of these already well-off celebrities adding more money to their accounts, the show will donate the winner's prize to a charity of their choice.

The cast is comprised of 10 celebrities - some reality stars, some athletes and potentially one politician. Seven of the 10 were announced Friday, with the remaining three and the hosts to be announced later this week. Those confirmed to be appearing in the show are John Salley, Janice Dickinson, Sanjaya Malakar, Torrie Wilson, Stephen Baldwin, Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt. Newlyweds Montag and Pratt, most notable for their appearances on MTV's "The Hills," and Malakar, a former contestant on "American Idol," bring to the jungle their expertise in standing before reality TV cameras. Salley, a former NBA player and a host on Fox Sports Network's "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" and Wilson, former model and wrestler, seemingly hold the athletic advantage over the rest of the cast. Dickinson, however, has a decidedly competitive advantage over the rest as the runner-up in season seven of the U.K. version of the show.

"Life is a jungle!" she told The Eagle. "I've practically won it."

The current spotlight on the show, however, isn't focusing on the confirmed cast or the concept of the show. Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich, D-Ill., who was arrested earlier this year for allegedly receiving bribes to fill President Obama's vacant Senate seat, was contacted to join the cast of the show. He planned on doing so, until a judge denied his request to leave the country while awaiting trial. Blagojevich was present at the cast press conference Friday, still intending to be a part of the show in some capacity despite his inability to compete in Costa Rica.

"I don't consider myself a celebrity," he said at the conference of his potential role in the show. He has said he will do everything in his power to promote the show, and he will not vote anyone off.

Although it will be another five weeks until America sees the hilarity that will ensue in the Costa Rican jungle, Friday's press announcement has hinted at some of the drama sure to occur. "If Janice gets out of hand, there is no doubt in my mind I will tackle her," Wilson said. The current combination of actors, models, athletes and Blagojevich (admittedly recruited for his entertainment value) is sure to make for an interesting 15 episodes.

"I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" will air on NBC beginning June 1.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.