TAVERN MASH - SUB's much-anticipated show featuring Girl Talk went off without any serious problems, creating an party-like atmosphere with none of the danger of past shows. SUB hopes to parlay this successful show into more funding for future performance

Campus goes 'Girl' crazy in Tavern

SUB hopes success brings future funds

Student Union Board Director Josh Offsie said he hopes the success of Saturday's Girl Talk concert in the Tavern will demonstrate SUB's proficiency and win them more funds from the Undergraduate Senate for the upcoming school year.

"The show went off without a hitch," he said. "We sold out and hit the Tavern's fire capacity exactly with 650 people at the event."

There were safety concerns for the concert because some of Gregg Gillis' previous shows had to be shut down due to a lack of crowd control, The Eagle previously reported.

"Nothing got out of control," Offsie said. "No one should have been paranoid about it. If you're not prepared for the crowd, something could go wrong ... [but] we had professional security on the stage."

The main concern was about injuries due to crowd size, Offsie said.

"Some of my friends had bruises from getting their feet stepped on," said Louise Brask, a freshman in the School of International Service. "But I think overall people had pretty decent attitudes."

Despite some minor injuries, everyone in attendance seemed to be having a good time.

"The energy of the entire crowd was what really made it awesome," said Cody Steele, a freshman in SIS.

Brask said her favorite part of the concert was Gillis' performance.

"You could really see Gregg Gillis' passion during the show," she said. "He was so enveloped in what he was doing. You could tell he wanted everyone to have a good time."

The event's success was a result of the AU and Girl Talk staff's partnership, Offsie said.

"By using their experience in running the show and using our experience in using the Tavern, we made sure nothing went wrong," he said.

"There was definitely a security presence, whether on stage guards or public safety" Steele said, "So I was never scared or anything."

Brask said her only complaint was the complicated process of getting tickets.

"The AU bureaucracy is so weird," she said. "We weren't sure if we were going to get tickets. We didn't have to wait in line all day."

There were no problems with the ticket line, Offsie said.

"As far as I'm concerned, the show was a huge success," he said.

Offsie said he hopes SUB will be allocated more funding for next year to reward and continue the hard work of his team. There will be an appeals meeting on April 14.

"If students like what SUB did this year, they need to write to someone in the Undergraduate Senate," he said. "If they, the constituents, don't ... get their voice heard, nothing will come of it."

According to some students, this is a small price to pay to ensure such events.

"I would be willing to write my senators as long as [SUB] keeps getting these turn-outs," Steele said.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.