MORE WEDDINGS, MORE CAKE - John Marzabadi, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and the Queers and Allies president, serves cake at the reception after the Freedom to Marry Day event on the quad. The newlyweds included heterosexual and gay couples.

"Wedding" bells ring on quad

Part of the main quad became a marriage chapel Wednesday afternoon when the Queers and Allies club marked Freedom to Marry Day - a nationwide celebration for LGBT marriage equality.

About 80 faux marriages were performed between noon and 4 p.m., according to club president John Marzabadi, a junior in the School of Public Affairs.

People did not have to be gay to get married during the event, he said.

"A lot of the people were self identified allies," Marzabadi said.

Newly married "couples" received rings, a marriage certificate and a first shot at cake at the reception, which was held Wednesday evening, Marzabadi said.

He said he thinks AU is an accepting institution.

"A lot of people at AU are pro equality," Marzabadi said. "AU is tolerant, accepting and to an extent, affirming."

Freedom to Marry Day started in 2003 and takes place on many college campuses nationwide - usually around Valentine's Day. AU's Freedom to Marry day was held later in the year so the weather would be nicer, he said.

Tonei Glavinic, a freshman in SPA and coordinator of the Queers and Allies' transgender advocacy project, said the event permits people to show acceptance for LGBT issues.

"I think it allows people to affirm support for the LGBT community," he said. "It can demonstrate that there can be all sorts of relationships other than a two person heterosexual one."

Glavinic said he was pleased with the overall event.

"It went really well - a lot of people participated," he said. "I got married once and I might get married again at the dinner tonight."

Wednesday's celebration came a day after the Vermont state Senate voted to approve a bill allowing gay marriage in the state. The state's House of Representatives were set to take up the measure later in the week.

Gov. Jim Douglas, R, vowed Wednesday to veto the measure, according to CNN.com.

You can reach this staff writer at eklapper@theeagleonline.com.