DAMAGE CONTROL - Vandals ripped out the dividers between the urinals in the men's bathroom of Bender Arena during Relay For Life between Friday night and Saturday morning. It is unclear who will have to pay for the repairs.

Vandals strike Bender

An eyewitness has come forward and named a possible suspect in this weekend's Relay for Life vandalism incident, according Julie Rinehart, the event's coordinator and a senior in the School of Public Affairs.

It is unclear whether part of the $24,000 raised for cancer research during the event Friday night and Saturday morning will still go to cover repairs in the Bender Arena men's restroom, where three stall dividers were torn down at some point during the event.

"These people took money away that saves lives," Rinehart said.

Rinehart said she heard from an eyewitness Sunday morning and has a name of a possible suspect. She said her group has notified Public Safety.

"I am unsure what will happen from here - whether the guilty party is going to just admit to the charges, if there will be a hearing or if he will be charged for the damage instead of our group," she said in an e-mail Sunday.

Arthur Schweitzer, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and Relay for Life's logistics coordinator, said he first discovered the damage at some point after midnight.

"It was definitely shocking," he said. "At first, I didn't even realize what happened."

Public Safety responded shortly after 2 a.m. Public Safety Chief Michael McNair said he has yet to investigate the incident.

"Since this event just happened on Friday evening, I have not had an opportunity to review it yet," he said in an e-mail Sunday evening. "The decision to charge the group was not mine. Beyond that I am [unable] to comment until I have reviewed all the facts."

Rinehart said her group assumed all charges from Public Safety for the incident.

"Because our group was responsible for what went on in Bender Arena that night, we assumed responsibility," she said in an e-mail Sunday. "It is written in our contract with Bender. So when we notified Public Safety we assumed all charges, then Public Safety said they would let us know the cost estimate."

Rinehart said she suspects the individuals responsible for the damage were under the influence of alcohol.

"If I knew they were drunk, they wouldn't have been there," she said. "They just demeaned the entire meaning of the event." In a statement released Monday afternoon, Denise Hyater, American Cancer Society Executive Director for the National Capital Region pledged cooperation with university officials investigating the incident.

"We will be working with university officials to investigate the unfortunate vandalism that occurred on the campus this weekend at the same time as our event," she said in the statement. "Meanwhile, we want to assure the events' supporters that the money they raised will be used to further the American Cancer Society's mission, as it was intended."

Proceeds from the event, which was sponsored by Colleges Against Cancer, goes to the ACS, Rinehart said.

The incident showed AU did not adequately staff the event with Public Safety officers and facilities personnel, said Student Government President Seth Cutter.

"It sounded like the Relay committee did everything to get people like Public Safety and Facilities Management there," he said. "The university still has ways to go to make sure there is adequate security and staffing at these events."

Schweitzer called the damage and its associated costs "unfair and wrong."

Cutter said he felt the incident was unfortunate.

"Any dime taken from the monies raised is a dime taken from finding a cure," he said.

Other than the vandalism, Rinehart said the event went smoothly - more than 500 people attended.

"[We got] a lot of great feedback," she said.

Last year, Relay for Life raised approximately $16,000, The Eagle previously reported.

Rinehart said she will follow up with Public Safety Monday.

Eagle Staff Writer Jimm Phillips contributed to this report.

You can reach this staff writer at eklapper@theeagleonline.com.

Updated March 23 at 9:09 p.m.