Style goes 'Gaga'

Lady Gaga uses fashion as just one component of her celebrity to garner more media attention. Even Blackbook recently featured a cover shoot of Nicole Richie dressed like the pop star. The photo spread and accompanying article are unrelated to Gaga but show the influence that she holds in the fashion world. Richie dons a long platinum blonde wig with blunt bangs and strikes a signature Lady Gaga pose in the photos.

"Fashion is everything," Lady Gaga told MTV. "When I'm writing music, I'm thinking about the clothes."

This work ethic is evident in the similarities between the eccentric clothing and infectious dance music she's become known for. Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" went triple platinum.

Lady Gaga labels herself and her image as the "Haus of Gaga." The U.K.'s Independent reported that her creative team, who are all under 26 years old, collaborate to put together the final fashion product.

Hooded capes, bustiers, very high heels and a lack of pants are some of the staples of her wardrobe.

Though her image is carefully calculated Gaga has no plans to start a fashion line, as has been rumored.

"I'm so busy ... and I don't want to vomit merchandise all over the fashion world and call it my line ... If I were to do it, I'd want to take a minute and a break, and really do it," the artist told Extra.

One of the outfits she wears on her tour, though, may have been copied from another couture designer, says the New York Times blog The Moment. The dress constructed of bubbles is very similar to a Hussein Chalayan creation from 2007.

This attack on Lady Gaga's originality is not the only negative feedback she's received. Christina Aguilera, who premiered her style makeover at the MTV Video Music Awards, was offended by the comparisons to Lady Gaga.

"This person [Lady Gaga] was just brought to my attention not too long ago," Aguilera told MSN. "I'm not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don't know if it is a man or a woman. I just wasn't sure."

Though the general consensus is that Gaga created the signature style, not everyone is in love with her over-the-top and often pantsless look. The starlet was recently stopped by a policeman on the streets of Chicago for wearing hot pants, Lady Gaga told W magazine.

Gaga, however, makes no apologies for her bold sense of style. "I love Dolce & Gabbana. I love Versace. I love the crazy, more eccentric stuff," Gaga told W magazine.

Her fans can't seem to get enough, and Gaga herself lives by a maxim of excess: "I can't pay my rent, but I'm fucking gorgeous."

Fans will be able to see Lady Gaga on her "Fame Ball" tour when she comes to D.C. at the 9:30 club on April 2.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.