MAKING A COMEBACK - Benjamin McKenzie (left) stars in the new television show 'Southland' on NBC. Formerly from "The OC," McKenzie plays a rookie officer in the LAPD, a job filled with life-and-death drama. Elsewhere on NBC, Amy Poehler stars in "Parks an

Poehler, McKenzie return to TV

You saw Coldplay perform "Vida La Vida" and win Song of the Year at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 8. You watched the cast of "Slumdog Millionaire" storm the stage to claim eight golden trophies at the Oscars on Feb. 22. But with three months until the Tony Awards and five months until the Emmys, how does a Hollywood fanatic pass the time?

Answer: the series premieres of this spring's all-new TV shows! The wonderful people at NBC, ABC and FOX have been working hard to script and film several new programs to lift your spirits and wash away your post-award season blues. Here are the top-three shows that demonstrate the most potential to please AU viewers.

"Parks & Recreation"

Greg Daniels and Michael Schur, the executive producers of "The Office," "King of the Hill" and "Saturday Night Live" have created a new mockumentary starring the hilarious Amy Poehler ("Mean Girls" and "SNL"), and Rashida Jones ("The Office"). The show documents the life of Leslie Knope (Poehler), a determined park administrator who helps local nurse Ann Logan (Jones) take on the region's bureaucrats and real-estate developers in an attempt to boost her career and clean up her town. Because of the show's experienced producers and comedy veterans, it would certainly be worth your while to check out "Parks & Recreation," coming Thursdays to NBC.

"Southland"

The award-winning producers of "ER" and "The West Wing," John Wells, Ann Biderman and Chris Chulack, have created this fast-paced drama that offers a unique look into the hectic lives of LAPD officers. Despite the fact that it is yet another police drama, "Southland" looks intriguing because of the return of actor Benjamin McKenzie, previously Ryan from "The OC," to the world of prime-time television as rookie cop Ben Sherman. Michael Cudlitz ("A River Runs Through It") plays John Cooper, a strict and straightforward cop who teaches young Sherman the challenging-lifestyle that comes with joining the force. The show's other actors include Regina King ("Ray" and "Jerry McGuire"), Tom Everett Scott ("Boiler Room"), Michael McGrady ("The Thin Red Line") and Kevin Alejandro ("Ugly Betty").

"Sit Down, Shut Up"

From the clever minds of writers Mitchell Hurwitz ("Arrested Development") and Eric and Kim Tannenbaum ("Two and a Half Men"), comes a new animated comedy that follows the lives of faculty members working at a high school in a small Florida fishing town. The show's Web site says that the school's egotistical employees "never lose sight of the fact that children must ALWAYS come second." The show pokes fun at today's society and reveals the secret lives of some of the world's most hated and feared individuals: our teachers. With a promising cast of well-known performers such as Jason Bateman ("Arrested Development"), Kenan Thompson ("SNL"), Will Arnett ("Arrested Development") and Cheri Oteri ("SNL"), "Sit Down, Shut Up" could become a new animated favorite next to "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy."

You can reach this contributing writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.