It's hard to say this ... but we're through

Dear Undergraduate Internship,

I don't know how to tell you this ... but we're through. For four years, we have flirted amicability and loved unconditionally. But it's time for our relationship to end.

We've had a run of it, but it's time we became "just friends."

For the illiterate or just plain lazy . listen to Carl Seip read his latest column.

Remember that morning you sent me to my boss's apartment to turn off her curling iron? Remember that time you gave me the office supply catalogue and you told me I could pick whatever I wanted because there was extra supply money in the budget? These are fond memories of our time together - ones I will hold with me forever.

My eyes are misty. But this is the right thing to do - it's not personal. I just want to be able to tell people I'm single.

We need to meet new people. You need new undergraduates who are looking for experience, a resume builder, a new relationship. And I hope they enjoy their time with you as much as I have.

And honestly, in these last few months, I've been taking advantage of you. I've had my name out on the market, and every time I update my resume, you're on it. There is a chance, if only a small one, that my action verbs betray not a love for you but act instead in self-interest.

I've struggled with this decision, but it's time. I need to go out there and find a real job - oh, no - that's not what I meant - I mean another job - and enter the workforce. I need to settle down for the long-term and have real stability. It's not that I don't mind making coffee for you, it's just that when I can do it blindfolded ... I'm ready to move on.

This isn't anyone's fault. We're just not right for each other anymore. Every year, thousands of new undergraduates move to D.C. to begin their college experience, and I'm sure you'll meet someone who things will work out with. No one likes being alone for long, and in this economy, I'm sure you won't be. Especially with those SmartBenefits on the table.

In my youth, I was infatuated with you. You were a reason to skip class, wander the halls of the Capitol Building and proudly wear that bright red "Intern" badge. But it was puppy love. I was not in truly in love with you - I was in love with D.C., new experiences, networking and fancy receptions with cocktail peanuts. My love was based not on what I gave you, but on what you gave me - a refined skill set, diverse experiences and a network of potential employers.

I'm returning your mix-tapes and that T-shirt you sleep in. But I'll always hold close the memories of our best days - whether going up to the Hill for my first committee meeting, accidentally wearing jeans on a Friday when the Senate was in session or dropping a client from the line, then blaming it on the "new phone system" when they irately called back.

I'm not gone for good. I'll call and make sure I can use you as a reference or to see if you have any open slots for a friend. I'll stay in touch because I met wonderful people over these past years that have changed my life.

But after four years of college, it's time to move on. A real job is calling.

Thanks for all the great memories, and I hope we can still be friends.

Sincerely, Carl

Carl Seip is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and the AU issues columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.