IN YOUR HONOR - Honor By August, a D.C.-based band, will return to their hometown to play the 9:30 club Saturday night. Despite constant comparisons to fellow hometown act Vertical Horizon, the band has eschewed the same speedy rise to fame in favor of fo

'August' heats up spring music

When D.C.-based band Honor By August faces comparisons to their Georgetown compatriots, Vertical Horizon, the members jump at the chance to set the record straight.

"Not that we have anything against Vertical Horizon," Michael Pearsall said in an interview with The Eagle. "Musically, while there are some similarities, we're definitely more along the lines of like, Kings of Leon or U2."

"They're super great guys," guitarist Evan Field said.

It's easy to see why the local music scene has responded so well to Honor By August, who are label-less and prefer to win over fans the old-fashioned way through word of mouth and consistent performances. But their quiet determination is unmistakable as they talk about their career. Their name itself is a testament to their resolve - August, as an adjective, means to inspire awe and admiration.

"The idea is, you gain honor or earn by doing something admirable or awe-inspiring," Pearsall said. "The whole concept ... that it takes something to earn honor, and you do it on your own."

This lifestyle might not be what's expected, considering their explosive beginning of winning numerous contests and opening for artists like Bon Jovi, Third Eye Blind, Peter Frampton and Hanson. But Honor By August doesn't mind the slow and steady mindset.

"We'd rather have a slower but longer-term growth curve than a quick rise up and a quick fall down," Pearsall said. "If that means we don't soar as high but we soar for a longer period of time, we'd rather do that."

"It's like a slow burn," Field joked.

Aside from one too many Vertical Horizon comparisons, being located in D.C. has only helped Honor By August grow their career by fostering a community of musicians and providing convenient highways to travel the East Coast. It also allows them to call their upcoming performance at the 9:30 club a hometown show, though after their previous experience there, it's surprising they wanted to return.

Pearsall referred to the band's first show at the venue - a battle of the bands.

"The first time was a nightmare," he said. "I don't want to call the whole thing a scam."

"I didn't want to say evil," Fields added. He settled on "distasteful" to describe the show, disliking the way the organizers turned music into a competitive sport for profit.

"Regardless, it did get us to play the 9:30 club for the first time," Pearsall said. "The reason it was kind of a nightmare is cause there were like 12 bands ... it's like, get on, get off."

But Honor By August doesn't hold that experience against the venue and added how much they enjoyed the staff there.

"Even though you're there, one of 12 bands ... they still treat you, you know, like ." Pearsall said.

". Radiohead," Field finished, with nods around the table.

Saturday's concert will show just how far they've come since sharing the 9:30 club with a dozen other bands. And this time it's all about Honor By August and their upcoming album, "Found."

The band shared a laugh as they talked about the lengthy recording process for their follow-up to 2007's "Drowning Out the Television."

"It's interesting because we did it over ... three sessions, but over the period of a year and a half," Field said.

"It's funny to see songs from our first session," he said. "The band was a different band when those first three [songs] were recorded. Literally, the makeup of the band - we had a different member in. It's very interesting just to see where we have grown in terms of songwriting and the chemistry of the band."

Despite completing the band's sophomore album, "Found," Honor By August continue to accelerate, operating with the mindset that they can always do better.

"There's always room for improvement, [we're] never feeling completely complacent with where we are," Pearsall said. "That's really what drives us."

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.