REMEMBER THE 'TITUS' - The AU Players will perform their rendition of "Titus Andronicus," their first Shakespeare play to date. In order to accentuate the dark, shadowy nature of the play, the Players will be performing in the Katzen parking garage.

'Titus' shows Bard's gore

"Titus Andronicus," one of Shakespeare's earliest and goriest tragedies, has not gained as much popularity as the playwright's other works. However, after seeing it presented by the AU Players, the story will be difficult to forget.

The play, directed by College of Arts and Sciences junior David Conison, presents the story of a Roman general who partakes in a series of murders, rapes and other forms of violence.

The performance is incredibly faithful to the written work. From every drop of blood shed to each brutal body slain, Conison fills the show with gruesome acts of violence without making the audience nauseous.

Some criticize the play as one of Shakespeare's worst works, which make Conison's decision to stage a performance quite surprising.

"People will have no expectations coming in. This [play] defies what people expect from Shakespeare," Conison said.

The Players have never done a Shakespeare play, he said. "Titus Andronicus" is rarely performed in general, which makes seeing this show a rare dramatic experience.

James Randle, a sophomore in CAS and the School of International Service, said he expected a unique take on the work from the Players.

"The fact that the AU Players is doing Shakespeare is a novelty," he said. "I knew they'd do it differently, so I was intrigued."

The performance is also unique because of its staging location. The Players will present the production in the Katzen Arts Center, but rather than being inside, it is staged in the parking garage. The cast and crew will transform level P3 of the garage into Rome. It takes some imagination and cooperation to see the true setting of the play, but inside the gloomy and dark garage it is not that difficult to imagine the sinister atmosphere that the play demands.

Due to the location of the play, the audience gains a view into all aspects of the production, including costume changes and set alterations.

"The play is as much about the actors making the play as it is about the play itself," Conison said.

The space also enhances the voices and echoes, which makes the powerful monologues and dialogues even stronger.

There are many other entertaining touches. Live music plays in the background. From dripping fake blood to booming blasts from pretend guns, the performance shines with its gory and violent props. A screen of white sheets, along with carefully positioned lighting, create a powerful sense of shadow that enhances the drama of the violent scenes taking place behind the sheets.

Conison adds a sense of modernity to the performance by incorporating contemporary clothing and current weapons.

"Violence is timeless," he said. "It can happen in Rome, and it can happen here."

This directorial choice adds even more passion to the play.

With deception, torture, revenge and scandal, "Titus Andronicus" is clearly a play with intense subject matter. However, commanding performances and passionate acting place the subject matter within a compelling, dramatic framework.

As long as audience members wear warm clothes and bring blankets for the outdoor venue, they will be surprised by one of Shakespeare's hidden masterpieces.

"Titus Andronicus" is playing on level P3 of the Katzen Arts Center garage at 8 p.m. from Thursday to Saturday. Tickets are $5 at the door.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.