Smithsonian displays first lady fashions

While popular fashion wisdom asserts that clothes don't make the man (or in this case, woman) it's clear that clothes can make an interesting Smithsonian exhibit. With the reopening of their first ladies exhibition, the Smithsonian American History Museum displays more than 90 accessories and 14 dresses from the past 100 years.

Michelle Obama has already been approached by the museum to donate her own signature style, and if she complies she will join the ranks of other historical first ladies such as Eleanor Roosevelt and Mary Todd Lincoln.

The items on exhibition date back to 1914 and include evening gowns, gloves, purses, faux pearls and shoes. Other items includes those that speak of each first lady's time in the White House. This includes a program from the 2001 National Book Festival, begun by Laura Bush, and information regarding Hillary Clinton's 1993 health care reform package. The Smithsonian hopes to increase items in this portion of the exhibit as well.

Michelle Obama was heralded for her Inauguration Day fashion choices: a light yellow dress and coat by Isabel Toledo made from Swiss wool lace and lined in French silk and a white chiffon off-the-shoulder gown appliquéd with beads by lesser-known designer Jason Wu.

Michelle Obama's decision to opt for less well-known designers gave her the subtle edge she has become known for. Though her outfits were decidedly more conservative than the avant-garde design by Narisco Rodriguez or the Thakoon Panichgul floral print worn during the campaign, Michelle has proven herself to be both chic and sophisticated.

Her one-of-a-kind designs will fit right in with the handmade creations on display in the 50-foot glass case at the Smithsonian. Fashion fiends who cannot make it to the museum can view photos and video of the exhibit on www.smithsonianmag.com. This includes a digital tour of a few notable gowns with commentary from the exhibit curator Lisa Kathleen Grady.

Among the beautifully crafted designs is Martha Washington's painted silk evening gown from the 1780s. Though the design is typical for the time - a square-necked bodice and full skirt - it also includes a quirky insect pattern. Though attempts have been made to preserve the dress, the collar and lace cuffs have been reproduced.

Also on display is Eleanor Roosevelt's 1945 inaugural reception dress, designed by Arnold Constable. Though the gentle pink floor length design features long sheer sleeves and delicate beading, it is made of rayon crepe, a testament to the rationing of wartime.

A more recent addition is Hillary Clinton's 1993 blue-violet Sara Philips creation, which boasts a mousseline overskirt and beaded lace sheath.

Other dresses have been altered in some way, such as a reproduction of Mary Todd Lincoln's cr?me evening gown with woven ribbon and purple flowers. Francis Cleveland's inauguration gown was also a donated a few years ago after being altered by her family as a wedding gown.

Though each design is different, each tells a story about the time period and the woman who wore it. The Smithsonian will hopefully continue to serve the fashion-conscious community as well as preserve history.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeeagleonline.com