Small changes mean big things at AU

We are only beginning to tell the story of AU. Spreading the good word about AU is a goal of university leadership, and it is a goal that I'm glad has moved to the forefront, even as we work to improve AU for future generations.

And to guide our improvement we have a grand new strategic plan, built by our community, which captures the spirit of this institution.

But in the world of grand plans, it is easy to brush aside the importance of small, yet meaningful, changes to our lives. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for big dreams. But I want to take a moment to offer a simple reminder to everyone at AU.

To make my case, let me give you an example.

New shuttle routes implemented this past fall were a huge improvement to transit service, and I commend Transportation Services for finding a practical solution to a problem that has existed for years.

But we're still falling short of the destination.

This is no complaint about standing up in the aisle during commuting hours. I understand that there are lots of people on campus, and they're all trying to leave.

Instead, I'm talking about the half dozen times a semester when the shuttles reach crush capacity - the type of overflow that leaves you stranded with countless other frustrated parents, visitors and students on a frigid curb in Tenleytown, counting the seconds until the next bus arrives.

The shuttle crush certainly isn't a daily occurrence. But for a few select days a year, things run amok: AU Admitted Students Day, Parents' Weekend and the first and last days of break, as students arrive and depart with luggage in tow.

During my time at AU, the shuttle system has maxed out during the exact same special events every year - and yes, I consider the first day of break a special event.

But despite this obvious pattern of overcrowding on specific days, there has never been a fix. It could be as innocuously simple as scheduling an extra driver. But alas, in the cold, we shall wait.

For some reason, the smallest improvements at AU seem to take the longest to make - and I'm not just talking about Transportation Services. There are simple yet unaddressed issues in every AU department that deserve attention, simple issues that could be fixed with little or no cost but would greatly increase the quality of life at AU.

And so my reminder to you is this: Have grand plans. Reach for the stars. Endeavor to be the best. But on the way, don't forget about the day-to-day occurrences that affect people personally. Don't forget about the importance of balancing grand plans with smaller efforts.

At the end of the day, students care as much, if not more, about the small AU things as they do about big AU things. You see, I'm not going to be here in 10 years - barely more than 10 weeks in fact. And while I'm encouraged about the Strategic Plan and what it represents, it doesn't really get my motor running.

What gets me excited is seeing improvements on this campus that affect my day-to-day life.

And maybe that's the real issue. In a land of grand plans - and AU has

many - we've forgotten to work on the small improvements that really affect students.

I'm proud of the steps we've taken to become a great national and international university, and I'm confident that we're well on our way. But I would be so excited to see a special events shuttle schedule this spring.

Just like I would love to see, at long last, Housing and Dining replace Chick-fil-A with Chipotle, a restaurant close to every student's heart.

Small decisions. Meaningful impact.

And be honest. In one corner: the AU Strategic Plan. In the other: foil-wrapped Chipotle burritos.

Which would you be more excited for?

Carl Seip is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and the AU issues columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.