Metro gets "On Track" with customers

Since March of 2007, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority has offered a weekly podcast on their Web site and through iTunes music store, but the podcast has gone unnoticed by some of the AU community.

The podcast, called "On Track," runs 10 to 20 minutes depending on the week.

"On Track offers listeners a summary of Metro-related news for the week and provides an overview of how planned maintenance work or major events in the region may impact their weekend travel," according to Metro's Web site.

Often, the podcast also includes a segment called "Consider Some Culture," which describes free events and activities that are Metro-accessible.

Ron Holzer, director of special projects for WMATA's public relations office, records "On Track" at his desk. He said it usually gets uploaded to the Web on Thursday afternoon.

Holzer created the podcast back in 2007 and has continuously hosted it since.

"The idea was that [people] could listen to it on the way to work Friday morning and be ready for the weekend if they're making travel plans," he said.

The podcast receives most online hits between Friday and Saturday each week, and "On Track" gets three to four hundred listeners per week, he said.

Here on campus, School of Communication professor Sarah Menke-Fish is aware of the podcast, although she has never listened to an episode.

Menke-Fish said "On Track" is a wonderful way for Metro to communicate with the public, but several AU students told The Eagle they aren't interested in listening.

Alexis Keslinke, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she would never download a Metro-related podcast.

"I don't see myself taking 10 minutes out of my day," she said.

Keslinke said she already gets Metro updates through an Apple application called iTransDC, which is available on Mac products like the iPhone and the iTouch.

Adam Scheffler, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, also said he would never download WMATA's podcast. Scheffler said he would rather anticipate track delays and other complications than make time to listen to "On Track."

"I just have to leave myself extra time," he said. "On the weekends, they're always having track delays. I've had some really bad experiences."

Ron Holzer was not surprised the many AU students seemed disinterested in "On Track." In fact, he thinks the podcast mostly appeals to seniors and disabled Metro customers.

Holzer said WMATA has no plans to specifically promote the podcast, although it does get mentioned in a newsletter, which approximately 150 people receive.

"We're relying on word of mouth," he said.

Holzer also stressed that "On Track" is just one way to get connected with Metro.

"The strategic communications group that I'm with is trying to break into the social media stuff," he said.

Metro already has a YouTube channel, "metroopensdoors," and Holzer claims a Facebook page is in the works, too.

"It will likely be introduced next week," he said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.