THE SWEETNESS - Rockers Jimmy Eat World played to a sold-out crowd at the 9:30 club Tuesday night, showcasing lead singer Jim Adkin's soulful and mature vocals. This electric, fan-friendly show was part of a 10-stop tour celebrating the 10th anniversary o

Jimmy sings clearly with 'Clarity'

Band rocks new tour with fan favorites

On Feb. 24, Jimmy Eat World performed to a sold-out 9:30 club during their "Clarity x10" tour, celebrating the 10th anniversary of the record with a selective, 10-stop tour in which they perform the album live from start to finish.

Formed in 1993 in Mesa, Ariz., Jimmy Eat World released demos and EPs before breaking into the indie rock scene with 1999's "Clarity." This record that essentially caused them to lose their record deal with Capitol - and therefore independently record the popular "Bleed American" - has amassed cult status among fans for its thoughtful, emotional lyrics and melodic music.

But before fans could hear Jimmy Eat World, they had to wait out the opener. Despite Reubens Accomplice's pleasant blend of Americana and rock, it was clear whom the audience was really here to see. The band acknowledged their challenge as openers for such a unique tour with a sense of humor, joking about being there as "fluffers" to warm the crowd up.

But the opening chords of "Table For Glasses," the first track on "Clarity," shook the crowd from their boredom. As Jimmy Eat World transitioned seamlessly into "Lucky Denver Mint" and then "Your New Aesthetic," the audience screamed their approval loud enough to be heard over the deafening mix pounding through the speakers.

Performed live, "Clarity" preserved all of the elements that garnered its acclaim and even managed to clean up a few problems. After over 10 years of touring and recording, Jim Adkins's vocals have matured without losing the heartfelt octaves showcased in "Clarity," his voice just as smooth and sweet when live as on the albums. Its track list, which at times clearly dates itself on the recording, become timeless when played live.

Fans responded enthusiastically hearing their favorite songs resurrected from 1999.

"I feel like this tour itself represents the nitty gritty of music," said Kristina Belich, who has been listening to Jimmy Eat World since high school. "[It's] what you want from the music and what they give to you. 'Clarity' itself is them. It's their soul that they're showing."

After performing the final song on "Clarity," Jimmy Eat World left the stage, only to return several minutes later for a six-song encore. Their final numbers traded "Clarity's" reflection for more forceful songs like "Pain" and "Work," giving their discography a workout. And despite their fixture on the radio, "The Middle" and "Sweetness" closed the night, providing a sense of the path Jimmy Eat World has traveled over the past decade.

"I remember they were playing 'Sweetness' before 'Clarity' even came out," said Kevin Jiulianti, who was a fan when "Clarity" was originally released and attended the band members' rival high school in Arizona. "We'd always go to their shows and be like, 'Play the 'whoa, whoa' song.' No fans knew the name of it."

"They got radio friendly," Jiulianti added. "It made me happy and sad that they were so big on the radio, but they've gotten better and better."

The "Clarity x10" tour proves that some things get better with age, and Jimmy Eat World is one of them.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.