'Jammin' redeemed with 'Bang'

If Saturday's show at Jammin Java indicated the future of music, the world is in trouble.

After four bands' worth of guitars pushed to the max, singers who couldn't stay in one key and drummers that had issues keeping rhythm, only the mildly sophisticated Crash Boom Bang - the headliners celebrating their debut CD release - could resurrect what was an altogether failure of a concert.

Jammin Java, known as a haven for local bands, brought together what was hopefully not the best of the upcoming talent. Almost every one of the four openers continued lowering expectations until Crash Bang Boom took the stage - and, by that time, any band that could harmonize and keep rhythm would have been a success.

Ranging from The Armada, from Houston, to Surprise Attack, a band from Northern Virginia, the evening's less-than-stellar talent succeeded most in sounding just like one another. It seemed as if all the bands attended the same conservatory that taught them how to sound like Fall Out Boy, only far less cohesive. If immaturity in musicianship was a race, these openers would be in a neck-and-neck sprint to the finish.

Though the talent improved slightly as the evening wore on, even the bands right before Crash Bang Boom failed to motivate the crowd. Sunset Shootout's and Boys Will Be Boys' optimistic energy helped sell their sets, but even their good intentions failed to translate to great music with voices straining after only a few songs and altogether flat-sounding songs.

But by the time Crash Boom Bang's set began, the crowd, which had been dwindling at best, perked up enough to provide genuinely ecstatic cheers as the members of the Fairfax, Va.,-based band walked onto the stage.

Without wasting any time, the band picked up their instruments and launched into songs from their debut album, "Gold Rush." The musicians' polished, comfortable stage presence and in-the-pocket musicianship revealed the essential attitude and confidence other bands of the night failed to achieve.

Crash Boom Bang, which began recording demos almost a decade ago, have worked hard to mature their sound and stage presence. With only two guitars, vocals, drums and bass, the quartet kept it simple and surprisingly rock 'n' roll with their clean instrumentation. Their catchy and fun sound prevailed through their 45 minute set, as the band demonstrated a unique sense of teamwork in their musical endeavor.

Between songs, Crash Boom Bang was also surprisingly skilled at connecting with their crowd, whether through throwing out gold beads or playing matchmaker with teenagers in the crowd to celebrate Valentine's Day. The crowd, which mostly consisted of young teenagers, responded enthusiastically to the band's banter with each other as well as with the crowd.

Though not quite worth waiting through the two-and-a-half hours of opening bands, Crash Boom Bang entertained and provided the best set of the evening. If other bands follow their lead, maybe the future of music isn't in such trouble after all.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.