Grammy stars runway ready

At Sunday's Grammys, artist Adele won more than just the Best New Artist award - her ensemble, designed by Barbara Tfank and styled by the legendary Anna Wintour, gained praise as well.

The custom-made, structured black A-line dress featured a wide V-neck and was paired with a similarly stunning lime green silk jacket also made by Tfank. The heels adorned with a jeweled buckle complimented the classic cut of the gown. Tfank's use of a vintage silhouette alluded to red carpet glamour of decades past.

"I think we're finally coming to a better place of realizing that not all people are alike," said Tfank in an E! online article.

It is surprising, then, that Anna Wintour, the former editor-in-chief of Vogue, offered to style Adele. Known as the inspiration for the sharp-tongued Miranda Priestly in "The Devil Wears Prada," Wintour has gained an infamous reputation.

Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley, who has styled stars like Jennifer Hudson, told Oprah Winfrey in a 2005 interview: "Most of the Vogue girls are so thin, tremendously thin, because Miss Anna don't like fat people."

While Wintour has never confirmed the comment, the pages of Vogue under her direction were a testament to the typical beauty standards imposed by the fashion industry.

Despite these perceptions, in addition to being dressed by Wintour, Adele is set to shoot an upcoming spread for the fashion magazine often called the "Fashion Bible" with photographer Annie Leibovitz.

Adele met Wintour during her final fitting for the photo shoot

"It was just like 'The Devil Wears Prada,'" she told the Associated Press.

"It was amazing," Adele said. "I was really frightened and I went in and she was so nice. She was like, 'What labels do you like?' I was trying to make up these designers that I was quite sure I had read in Vogue or something before."

Tfank specially designed Adele's outfit for the Grammys but she also has created a Spring 2009 ready-to-wear collection. It features varied designs including structured pants and jackets alongside softer silhouettes. Additionally, she incorporates both basic solids and bright floral prints.

Unlike many ready-to-wear collections from trendy designers, her pieces look suitable for both work and leisure activities. The pieces will also be wearable for several seasons.

The New York Times' fashion blog "The Moment" called Tfank's designs, "classic glamour, elegantly updated."

The former costume designer adds a bit of drama to her spring collection while still hearkening back to a time of sweetheart necklines and A-line skirts.

"Early sixties Liz Taylor, right after Cleopatra," said Tfank when describing her Resort Collection as a complimentary addition to her other Spring 2009 styles to Style.com.

It is easy to imagine her dresses, with their "Breakfast at Tiffany's" charm, according to the fashion blog Fabsugar, at a Manhattan tea party.

Other celebrities have worn Tfank's designs on the red carpet, including Uma Thurman at the Academy Awards, and her clothing have been featured in several movies.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.