Obama's plan: make college affordable

President-elect Barack Obama is now planning his education reform policies, including making higher education more affordable, which could affect AU students in the future.

During his campaign, Obama formulated two fundamental policies concerning education-one that deals with school funding and reforms to No Child Left Behind, while the other focuses on higher education, according to The Washington Post.

Obama proposed adding $18 billion in funding for schools and dramatically increase access to preschools. The money put toward the No Child Left Behind accountability system will allow it to specifically target the schools that need improvement.

The National School Boards Association has applauded Obama and his plans to expand preschool and increase funding to schools, according to the Post.

While those policy ideas are dealt with outside of higher education rule, Obama has also focused on college issues, and some of his policies could affect current or prospective AU students.

Obama has proposed to deal with student loan programs, community college, and access to college, according to Inside Higher Ed, a news Web site that focuses on current education issues.

This proposal could eliminate subsidies to lenders and move all borrowing into the direct lending program, thus causing an increase in Pell Grants, according to Inside Higher Ed.

One of the proposals would increase access to college. Obama's plan includes giving a $4,000, fully refundable tax credit to cover college costs for students attending public schools. It is enough for two years of community college in most cases, according to Inside Higher Ed.

The requirement would be to complete 100 hours of community service per year, according to Inside Higher Ed.

Obama's logic behind the plan is that, 60 percent of all college students leave with debt, the average $19,000, according to his presidential transition Web site. Between 2001 and 2010, 2 million academically qualified students will not go to college because they cannot afford it. About 12 percent of Hispanic students and 16 percent of black students eventually earn a bachelor's degree, compared with 33 percent of white students.

The rising cost of college is a factor in this disparity. With the statistics provided and noted by Obama, he devised his higher education program on these grounds. Obama also calls for the simplification of federal aid applications according to Obama's site.

Student reactions to the $4,000 tuition program proposal are both positive and negative.

Arielle Klane, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she thinks the plan helps the financial side of the issue, and also deals with social responsibility.

"With the rising costs of college tuition, I think it is important for the government to realize this, while at the same time, valuing community service," she said. "It is a good plan."

David Wolkowicz, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business, said he thinks the government shouldn't pay volunteers.

"The federal government should not be paying people $40 an hour to do volunteer work," he said.

Carolyn Capern, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, supports the proposal.

"I think that if a student shows community service initiative then it is rewarding of a scholarship," she said. "I also believe a possible GPA requirement as well could work."

Pat Gillespie, a freshman in the SPA, said he thinks it helps two causes.

"[It is an] excellent idea because it allows students attend college at lower prices and still help their community they are serving," he said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.

comeback.

Despite the lopsided score, Poorman, who was named to the All-Patriot League second team and ranked 17th in the nation in save percentage (.753), finished the game with eight saves.

The Eagles, who finished the season with a 13-8 record, look to bounce back and return to the NCAA tournament next season and possibly beyond. The Eagles will lose seniors defender Katie Turner, midfielder Jesika Pufnock, midfielder Megan Henry, and first team All-Patriot League and Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year attacker Irene Schickhardt to graduation but the Eagles will return first team All-Patriot League members sophomore forward Christine Fingerhuth and DeWiljes, and second team All-Patriot League members freshman midfielder Tatum Dyer, junior forward Savannah Graybill, sophomore midfielder Kirstin Gebhart, sophomore midfielder Anne van Erp and Poorman.

You can reach this staff writer at sflynn@theeagleonline.com.