JAMMIN' - Public Safety Chief Michael McNair speaks at the forum for JAMS reform on Tuesday.

JAMS forum proposes clarifying transport policy

Rumors addressed at meeting

Administrators and several students met Tuesday night to dispel some rumors about the alcohol policy at AU, particularly regarding the alcohol transport policy, hosted by the Student Advocacy Center in the School of International Service Lounge.

First-time transports are not judicial matters but are really matters of health and safety, according to Dean of Students Sarah Waldron. While students who are transported are required to meet with Waldron and attend "Heads Up," class on alcohol and drug awareness, JAMS does not put first-time incidents on students' disciplinary records, and they do not face university sanctions, according to Waldron.

The administrators began by raising several issues facing students with regard to alcohol transports.

Public Safety Chief Michael McNair said local alcohol vendors and students have created a culture where binge drinking is acceptable.

Associate Dean of Students Sarah Waldron discussed the idea of the "second-hand hangover." According to Waldron, that includes the effects of drinking on students who have not consumed alcohol, such as intoxicated people being loud at night and vomiting in communal bathrooms.

Several students at the forum asked the administrators about the creation of a "good Samaritan" policy that would protect transported students and their friends from getting in trouble for violating the alcohol policy in certain circumstances.

One student asked about the possibility to maintain a "clean slate" policy that would give some form of forgiveness for a first-time transports. However, Waldron said first-time transports are not treated as disciplinary issues.

Waldron said the administration would look into changing the language of the Student Conduct Code to explicitly protect transported students and their friends.

Laura Aldermeshian, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and a volunteer advocate at the SAC, said while the administrators in attendance seemed to be receptive to students' ideas, she didn't think they would change AU's alcohol transport policies.

"They agree with our ideas but are hesitant to actually add something to the policy," she said.

Thomas McNutt, a freshman in SPA, shared Aldermeshian's view.

"[The meeting] was productive," he said, "but I don't think anything will change unless students push for change."

John Quast, the Resident Director of Letts Hall, clarified the protocol, as several students cited rumors for the basis of their questions. A transport usually begins when a student seeks help for their friend from an RA or Public Safety, he said. Then, the RD on duty is called to determine if the student shows signs of alcohol poisoning. If the RD decides that the student should be transported, then the student cannot refuse by signing a medical release, according to Quast. If a student persists in his or her refusal, the RD will call his or her parents to discuss the situation. Otherwise, the student is sent to the hospital to be treated, Quast said.

McNair also said students would not get in trouble with the Metropolitan Police Department if found intoxicated on campus.

"It's not gonna happen," McNair said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com