Firepower added to MLB offseason

As the last burning cars fizzle out in the streets of Philadelphia, it becomes time to light up the baseball hot stove. That's right, baseball's offseason has officially begun and that means there are going to be some seriously large checks written out this winter.

The big names floating around this offseason include outfielder Manny Ramirez, first baseman Mark Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett and Ben Sheets. All of these stars are looking to pull in huge multi-million dollar salaries.

Perhaps the most interesting free agent is Manny Ramirez. He is a 37-year-old left fielder with questionable (to say the least) abilities defensively yet he is still able to hit the ball like a player 10 years his junior.

While Ramirez is still an incredibly consistent run producer, there are questions about his attitude. Any Red Sox fan can attest to the fact that Ramirez can be a great player, when he feels like it.

When Ramirez went to the west coast this season to play with the LA Dodgers, the old hard-hitting player came out and carried the team into the playoffs. The team that signs him has to wonder if they will get a star that will hit 35 home runs and drive in 100 RBIs or a player who does not feel like running to first base.

The position player who will likely get the honor of signing the most lucrative contract this offseason is Mark Teixeira. After consistent years in the field and at the plate, Teixeira has established himself as one of the most reliable players in baseball. His numbers show that he is a reliable bat. For the last five seasons he has hit at least 30 homeruns and driven in 100 RBIs.

Teixeira's career has spanned three teams - the Texas Rangers, the Atlanta Braves and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. At every stop, he has displayed gold glove defense and a powerful bat from both sides. In all likelihood, Teixeira will remain with the Angels, the team he joined this past season.

Baseball General Managers around the league would all agree that the hottest commodity in any offseason is a great starting pitcher. That's why hefty lefty CC Sabathia will have a lot of teams bidding for his services come April.

After being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers from the Cleveland Indians, Sabathia went a stellar 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA. Besides the Brewers, a major player in the Sabathia sweepstakes will be the Yankees, who are sure to use all of the money they have recently shed from their salary to throw in his direction.

Other pitchers who should be looking forward to a pay raise are AJ Burnett and Derek Lowe. Burnett, who pitched for the Blue Jays last season, was able to enjoy a season without injury, which has been a problem in the past. Burnett showed he has the ability to be a front-of-the-line starter after going 18-11 last season with a 4.07 ERA.

Lowe, who pitched for the Dodgers last season, provided a steady presence in rotation, going 14-11 with a 3.24 ERA. Lowe will also draw some interest over the offseason from teams looking for a solid number two or three starter.

So let the trade rumors, press conferences and multi-million dollar deals begin. It should be a wild winter by the hot stove.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.