Economy has not affected AU Abroad

Students' interest in travel high

The current economic downturn and its repercussions have caused some college students to reconsider studying abroad, though AU Abroad Director Sara E. Dumont said her office has yet to see any major shift in abroad enrollments as a result of the present economy.

International travel is not usually associated with tough financial times, but economics can affect people's decision to travel, Dumont said.

AU Abroad has experienced unprecedented growth in study abroad interest for next semester, according to Dumont.

"Past experience has demonstrated that study abroad enrollments nationwide tend to remain steady or sometimes even see a bit of an increase during economic downturns," she said.

Brian J. Whalen, president of the Forum on Education Abroad, told the Chronicle of Higher Education the economic downturn led to a rise in value of the dollar abroad, which caused American students' expenses abroad to decrease.

Dumont said AU Abroad's numbers have remained stable because studying overseas has become an essential aspect of AU education.

"In times of economic uncertainty many students and their parents appreciate more than ever the value added study abroad can give to a college education," she said.

Allison Wagner, a sophomore in the School of International Service, plans to study abroad at the American University of Rome this spring.

"Everyone I know who had been planning on going abroad in college is still planning on doing so, even considering the economic situation," she said.

Despite the positive outlook for international academic opportunities at AU, study abroad advisers at other universities are speculating that the financial situation could change some of the dynamics of study abroad, according to the Chronicle.

Students are now taking shorter trips and looking at alternative destinations, the Chronicle reported.

Dumont said students who travel overseas through AU programs are still enrolled at AU and will receive their normal financial aid and scholarships.

"If they can afford to be here at AU, they can afford to study abroad on most of our programs," she said.

Nadine Schelling, a freshman in SIS, said she considered doing an alternative break this spring, but wil not to due to financial concerns. She said economic problems are not a major concern for study abroad programs.

"Since study abroad program costs are the same as tuition, the economy will not be as much of a concern when I decide to spend a semester or year overseas," she said.

Wagner said that she thinks the cost of living abroad will not be much different that at AU.

"The tuition and [living costs] are pretty much the same while I'm in Rome, so there aren't that many extra costs that I've encountered so far," Wagner said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.