When life gives 'lemons,' open shop in Rockville

The Lemon Tree perfects Mediterranean

In an area where there are countless establishments to dine in, deciding where to go for a bite to eat can be troublesome. For a college student on a budget, it is practically impossible. Until now, that is.

Close by in Rockville, Md., the perfect meal is only a few Metrorail stops away, and it goes by the name of The Lemon Tree.

Since opening in January 2007, The Lemon Tree has already made a name for itself due to the unique concept created by AU alumnus and The Lemon Tree owner Koray Kotan.

Rather than focusing on one particular food type, Kotan's eatery devotes its attention to four Mediterranean nations - Greece, Turkey, Israel, and Lebanon. Due to Kotan's decision to specialize in these four areas, his menu includes a variety of choices from Turkish pizza to Athenian paninis.

Apart from the delicious entrees, The Lemon Tree also boasts an impressive dessert menu. From Mediterranean dishes, such as baklava and kadatif, to traditional desserts, such as tiramisu and cannolis, The Lemon Tree offers a wide range of treats to please anyone's sweet tooth. The desserts, too, are unique because they are created especially for The Lemon Tree, making them a rare treat, to say the least.

Not only does Kotan's restaurant serve food, but it also works as a boutique and market. Its exclusive pieces, such as glassware and vases, on display and on sale throughout the building, make The Lemon Tree an established boutique.

The market component of The Lemon Tree is an area of the restaurant that has packaged Mediterranean products for sale, such as sodas, cookies and wine. Along with these products, it also has ingredients that customers can buy and bring home to make their own Mediterranean dishes.

It is evident that within The Lemon Tree there are countless Mediterranean products that can be purchased, whether it is a popular candy from Turkey or a well-known hot chocolate from countries away. But where do all of these products come from? Kotan runs a very particular business - all of the items within his establishment are fresh and come directly from their country of origin. Kotan has items imported from all over the world. With shipments coming in every month, The Lemon Tree houses some of the most unique and hard-to-find items of the Mediterranean.

The Mediterranean diet in general is healthy because of its common use of vegetables and fruits, but The Lemon Tree also uses other ingredients to cut down calorie intake while also maintaining taste. For example, rather than using rice, the restaurant uses cracked wheat in many of its dishes.

Kotan's creation can be described as a triple threat to say the least. The Lemon Tree is a diner's dream because it features hard-to-find dishes in a setting that is upscale, yet cozy. Unlike many other upscale establishments, this restaurant, market and boutique is warm and inviting. Once a patron steps into The Lemon Tree, it is as if they are practically in the Mediterranean. Once they get a taste of what this establishment has to offer, they will not want to leave.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.