BURNING BRIDGES - Jeff Bridges of "Big Lebowski" fame joins funny man Simon Pegg of the British comedy-slashers "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" in "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People," which hits theaters Oct. 3.

Weide film 'Peggs' humor on nose

Celebrity lifestyles can either draw people in or repulse them. Sidney Young (Simon Pegg), in the new Robert B. Weide-directed film "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People," is the type of person who cannot get enough of the realm of the rich and famous, but he also enjoys teasing the stars he idolizes.

The upcoming release of Weide's film is much anticipated, and with good reason. Not only does the film boast an interesting plot, but it has an impressive cast to match. Along with Pegg, Kirsten Dunst, Megan Fox and Jeff Bridges help compile the story of a witty British journalist who moves to New York for a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity.

Pegg plays the charming yet clumsy writer who dives into big city life after receiving a job at one of the world's most acclaimed magazines. Audiences will find it impossible not to laugh at Pegg's ridiculous and sometimes unbelievable charades. From hilarious dance moves to unforgettable one-liners, Pegg's performance is anything but dull.

It is especially entertaining to watch Pegg delve into the real world of journalism. The ladder-climb to success is not easy, but the adventure to the top can be amusing -- especially when Pegg is the one in the hot seat.

Pegg is not the only character who serves up the laughs; Dunst provides humorous comebacks to many of the awkward situations she's put into, including a drunken night at a company party.

In addition to providing viewers with a glance into the competitive world of magazine writing, romance and drama are infused in the film's storyline. As Pegg's character continues to fumble with his job, it becomes apparent that his life is heading south, making it even more enticing to predict if he can put his life back together.

Dunst and Pegg also share the screen with "Transformers" star Megan Fox, whose performance as ditzy up-and-coming actress Sophie Maes blends well with the storyline, and even gains some laughs of her own. With Dunst and Fox vying for Pegg's attention, the audience yearns to see who will win the heart of the amusing writer.

Despite the all-star cast and clever storyline, "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" would not be anything without its witty dialogue. The conversations between Pegg and Dunst throughout the film become funnier as their relationship in the film grows.

Some might assume the laughs Pegg serves up are immature, but that assumption could not be further from the truth. Even though Pegg's character comes off as idiotic, he is quite easy to get attached to.

New York's background ambience and an unforgettable soundtrack that includes Duffy and The Killers make "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" well worth the trip to the movie theater. Not only will Pegg leave audience members laughing until the credits roll, the storyline will teach viewers, especially aspiring journalists, an important lesson about life.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theagleonline.com.