Volleyball records ten wins in a row

Team win is seventh vs. PL teams

It was another successful weekend for the AU women's volleyball team, as they defeated Patriot League rivals Bucknell University Friday and Colgate University Saturday, in straight sets on the road. AU ran their winning streak to 10 straight matches, including seven straight against Patriot League opponents.

"This was a good win for us on the road," Head Coach Barry Goldberg said about Friday's victory in an interview with AUEagles.com. "Both teams had set point in the first set and we fought through to earn the win. We found ourselves behind a few times in the third set but we battled through and found a way to win. Overall this was a good win for us on the road against a good conference team."

AU and Bucknell battled back and forth in the first set, as the teams traded the lead 11 times and were tied another 11. AU grabbed a 20-15 lead late in the set, but the Bison fought back, and the score was first tied at 25, then again at 30.

The Eagles earned set point at 31-30 after a Bison error, and finally put the set away 32-30, after senior setter Christina Nash found senior outside hitter Rubena Sukaj for one of her six kills in the frame. AU then cruised in the second set, leading 10-5 early. After building their lead to 22-17, the Eagles rattled off three-consecutive points to take set point 25-17.

The third and final set was more similar to the first, as both teams exchanged the lead all the way to a 20 all tie, thanks to three straight points scored off a freshman outside hitter Rebecca Heath kill, a Bucknell error and a Sukaj ace. The Eagles closed the match out with an emphatic kill from Sukaj, winning the set 25-21.

Sukaj and Heath lead the Eagles with stellar offensive play, as Sukaj registered 16 kills, one ace, and seven digs, while Heath tallied 10 kills, two aces and nine digs. Christina Nash racked up 34 assists and had a .667 hitting percentage.

It was more of the same for the Eagles in Saturday's match against Colgate, as the one-two combination of Sukaj and Heath crippled the Raiders with double-digit kills.

AU carried the momentum of Friday's win into the first set, jumping out to a commanding 20-13 lead against Colgate. But the Raiders would claw back into the set, forcing the score to 24-22 AU. But Nash connected with Sukaj for a kill on the outside that seized a set victory, 25-22.

AU dominated the second set with a 25-16 win, and won another tightly contested third set for the match victory, 25-23. In both sets the Eagles were able to squash aggressive Raider runs and sustain offense to come away with victories.

Sukaj led all scorers in the Colgate game with 15 kills, and also added eight digs and four blocks. Heath tallied 11 kills while hitting .333 for the match and contributing four digs. Nash had 40 assists.

The Eagles will return to action at 7 p.m. Friday in Bender Arena against the U.S. Military Academy. AU Athletics will begin its Alumni and Friends Weekend before the game.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.