Trends fade, ink lasts forever

Tattoos are the most permanent fashion accessory one can buy. They are essentially just like a belt, earrings or necklace - except you can't take it off.

If you are thinking about getting a tattoo, consider why you want one. Is it because "everyone" has one, or do you want to make your parents angry? Or do you want to make a personal statement with a beautiful piece of artwork on your body? The latter is a more sensible reason to get a tattoo. An impulsive choice could lead to a painful and long-lasting mistake.

Design and Meaning

If you've resolved that you really want a tattoo, the next step is to choose what you want. Your tattoo carries whatever meaning you assign to it, but choose wisely. An easy way to ensure that you will not tire of this near-permanent accessory is to settle on something that has a strong personal meaning. A flower may be pretty, but if it represents an idea that carries no weight with you, it will just be a superficial picture - not art.

The significance of the message behind the tattoo should also be timeless. As you age, your opinions and feelings may change. Consider these questions when you pick out your design: Will I be able to explain this when I'm 40? Is this something I will be proud of later in life?

The design you decide on should also fit with your personal style. If you consider yourself preppy, it would be silly to get a skull-and-crossbones tattoo. Your personal style means ignoring the trends - you don't want to be a victim of another barbed wire around the arm. Remember, this is your chance to choose something unique and completely suited to your personal taste; don't waste it on something trite.

Location

The location of your tattoo is probably one of the hardest decisions you will need to make. If you want to go into a serious profession one day, like lobbying or business management, your tattoo should definitely be inconspicuous, if not concealed. There are no laws barring appearance-based discrimination at work, which means you can lose your job based on a noticeable tattoo if it makes your employer think it negatively affects the workplace. There is a gray area, though - if you want to be a graphic designer, music journalist, band manager or something else that doesn't necessarily require the traditional suit, you have more leeway with visibility.

Future female stock traders should avoid getting a tattoo anywhere around the neck, décolletage, wrists, feet or legs. Even though a suit feels very buttoned up and conservative, these places will almost always be visible. Also, the previously trendy lower back tattoo - often referred to as a "tramp stamp" - is not particularly classy or creative.

Men have it a little easier - suits cover your arms, legs and chest. The only off-limits area is around the collar, but on casual Friday or the weekend, you need to be able to keep your tattoo relatively unobtrusive.

Issues to Consider

The task of actually going to a tattoo parlor and getting your ink is absolutely the most pivotal part of the process, and probably offers the most opportunity for mistake.

Health issues are an extremely important part of the affair. There has never been a documented case of HIV/AIDS transmission due to tattooing, according to the Centers for Disease Control. However, there is a risk you could get Hepatitis C from a used needle or dirty instruments, so it is crucial that you see the tattoo artist take out the new needle and instruments. Levels of cleanliness vary from parlor to parlor; if you are uncomfortable, don't feel pressured to go through with your tattoo work.

Another important thing to note is that not all tattoo artists are actual artists. Skill level may also vary, so it is important you be outspoken about the specifics of your tattoo. If you do not like the way they've drawn it, have them do it again; don't just agree to have anything put on your body. The best tattoo artists will make sure you feel as little pain as possible. Of course it will hurt - especially if your tattoo is placed over a bone -- but if you feel excruciating pain, ask the artist to stop so you can see. Extreme pain could tip you off that the tattoo artist is pressing down too hard, which leads to scarring and can warp your tattoo.

Tattoos may have a reputation for being the product of a rash choice or drunken decision, but it is important to note that they can be a great addition to your personal style. While they may not be for everyone, if you decide that you would like a tattoo, it is important to approach it with a certain degree of rationality and responsibility. At the risk of sounding cliché: Think Before You Ink!

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.