Recycling program increases visibility

Receptacles more clearly labeled

In an effort to clear some confusion and increase efficiency, AU has adjusted its recycling initiative this semester by changing the recycling receptacles.

The new containers, which arrived late this summer, are different colors and have slots to distinguish between those appropriate for mixed papers, bottles and cans. The new containers look nothing like the trash bins on campus, according to Mark Feist, assistant director of Facilities Management.

"The most dramatic changes can be seen in the new selection of recycling containers in residence halls and academic areas," he said.

The change is welcome because the past system of recycling generated many problems, Feist said.

Prior to this year, the waste and recyclables containers, which are square, beige plastic bins, only differed in the labeled stickers on their lids. Lids would frequently get switched, making it difficult to separate between containers and resulting in overall inefficiency, according to Feist and Eco-Sense President Julie Munro, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"In the past there have been lots of questions ... and a lot of confusion about what happens with recycling [at AU]," Munro said.

Other problems stemmed from a lack of campus involvement with the recycling effort, Feist said.

"A large part of the motivation behind starting the movement was from the outcry of the community wanting to be more involved," he said.

Though AU is continuing to recycle with existing contractors, the newly instated program puts more responsibility in the hands of the AU community through on-campus sorting, according to Feist.

Munro said she is pleased with this initiative.

"As long as this new way [of recycling] is respected, it will work well," she said.

Matt Hamilton, a senior in the School of International Service, said he is generally pleased with the recycling improvements, yet there is still more that can be done. Hamilton is the resident assistant for The Green Community, a Learning Communities Project class in Letts Hall that focuses on environmental awareness and education through a weekly class and other eco-friendly projects.

Hamilton said that because there are only two categories of recyclables labeled - one for mixed paper and another glass and plastic bottles and cans, this makes recycling in the bins confusing. He said he thinks there should be one bin specifically for plastic and an additional bin for cardboard material.

Caitlin Langfitt, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and a student in The Green Community, said she has similar concerns about the effectiveness of the bins. She said she always sees the bins in the dorms, but does not see enough recycling in The Tavern and other public places on campus.

"I think lists should be put on the lids to specify and give examples of what types of recyclables are appropriate for each bin," Langfitt said.

Munro said her fellow students need to speak up and advocate for environmental causes. Through her work with Eco-Sense, Munro said she learned students could impact the eco-awareness movement.

Feist said that despite some student discontent, he remains optimistic about the initial outcome of the recycling upgrade.

"So far we have already generated successful results," he said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.