AROUND THE WORLD - William Congreve's "The Way of the World" takes the stage at the D.C. Shakespeare Theatre Company under the direction of Michael Kahn with vivid, vibrant sets and dazzling costume design by Tony Award-winning Jane Greenwood. The play fo

Convoluted plot confuses 'world'

'Way of the World' goes off deep end

Edmond Gosse, a famous English critic, wrote in 1888 "'The Way of the World' is the best-written, the most dazzling, the most intellectually accomplished of all English comedies, perhaps of all the comedies of the world."

Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with Gosse's synopsis. William Congreve's "The Way of the World," currently directed by Michael Kahn for D.C.'s Shakespeare Theatre Company, is an English Restoration comedy about two lovers, Mirabell and Millamant, who conspire both with and against their friends to trick Millamant's rich aunt into giving them a dowry of 12,000 pounds.

The play's opening scenes reveal that Mirabell wants to marry Millamant and therefore asks his servant, Waitwell, who recently married Lady Wishfort's maid, Foible, to pose as Mirabell's rich uncle Rowland and pretend to propose a marriage with Lady Wishfort. Meanwhile, Fainall, who is married to Lady Wishfort's daughter, who recently dated Mirabell, who ... well, if your head is spinning, please proceed to the next paragraph.

That said, to anyone not familiar with restoration comedies, "The Way of the World's" baffling story line will fly right over your head. Despite the enthusiastic and talented acting of the cast, Congreve's play will fail to entertain theatergoers who have trouble interpreting Shakespearean language.

The performers' words are difficult to understand because of fast-paced talking styles and mediocre British accents. The puzzling themes about intimate dating circles will quickly confuse any audience member who is not familiar with the play's intricate plot.

According to the Shakespeare Theatre Company's program, Congreve's initial plan in writing "The Way of the World" was to expose the true nature of British society and reveal the vices and indolence of humankind. While the play was not popular in the 1700s, it has lasted longer than any other Restoration comedy because of its ruthless humor and harsh truths about elite society.

The set's charming dollhouse-style architecture and authentic English costumes will surely capture audience attention. Watching the play is like gazing at "The Wizard of Oz's" Emerald City because of the all-green costume designs. Every character sports decadent clothing in shades of lime, olive, forest and more. The dresses of Millamant and Lady Wishfort, designed by Tony Award-winning costume designer Jane Greenwood, are particularly stunning.

Unlike other restoration comedies written before 1700, "The Way of the World" portrays a hero who falls for a high-status woman capable of talking her way into gaining independence and contentment. Unfortunately, the play's complicated plot and muffled dialogue overshadow its revolutionary messages and themes.

"The Way of the World" will play at the Shakespeare Theatre Company's Lansburgh Theatre through Nov. 16. Tickets are available at www.shakespearedc.org.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.