China's military strength is dangerous

China's global strategy is focused on international supremacy. Its economic and political power increases daily, in addition to its population. While the world argues over Iraq and Afghanistan, China quietly continues its massive and unprecedented buildup of highly trained and well-equipped military forces. China's estimated actual military budget has increased by more than 60 percent in just six years, according to the Department of Defense's 2007 report on the country. Why is that? While China still lacks the marine and air capabilities to be dominant, there can be no doubt that it is on its way to becoming the most powerful military in the world.

However, power isn't simply brute force; at numerous times in history, a smaller, more strategic foe has defeated the larger army. China has taken this into consideration and increased its power through an impeccable global strategy. Sun Tzu once said, "If your enemy is powerful, be prepared for him in advance; if he is superior in strength, evade him; if he is temperamental, irritate him; pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant; if his forces are united, separate them." This is the Chinese blueprint for war.

China is already expanding its power in eastern Asia. It supports Maoist revolutionary groups like those in Nepal, to gain control over its neighbors, while using force to claim resources in international waters. This situation has played itself out dozens of times in the Pacific, particularly in the South China Sea, but this is just the beginning.

China is expanding its economic and military influence across countless other countries as well. Part of building a strong and capable nation, is securing both allies and access to crucial raw materials, useful in peace and vital in wartime. China utilizes the frustration and hostility of these nations against the United States to forge and deepen alliances.

China continually seeks to expand its power and prestige abroad, while both undermining the United States, and managing to avoid attention from the international community. In fact, the western powers are so impressed with its production capabilities that it even praises China for being such a valuable diplomatic partner. As Caskie Stinnett once said, "A Diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to Hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip." Welcome to Hell.

China proposed a strategic partnership between itself, Venezuela and Iran, with the specific purpose of creating a military and economic alliance against U.S. policy. It has become the major opponent of the U.S. in the United Nations, regularly voting against any U.S. initiatives. Individually, these moves may not appear menacing, but in context with China's global strategy, a more threatening scenario emerges.

True to the ideals of Sun Tzu, the American people, indeed, the entire western world, remain unfocused and naively supportive of China's brilliant and subtle manipulation of world markets and political strategy. The 2008 Olympics boosted China's worldwide image of being a friendly and valuable global partner, dismissing any suggestion of it becoming an enemy state. History indicates this to be an excellent move; the 1936 Olympics did the same for Germany, calming any fears.

Like the ancient generals and strategists of the Han Dynasty, China prepares decades in advance. Unlike shortsighted American policy, which is dominated by immediate gratification and celebrity politics, the Chinese understand what is at stake with every move and are carefully setting up their pieces on the global gameboard. When the time comes, they will have seized every key position, anticipated every move and taken complete victory before their opponent even knows the game has begun. Checkmate!

Michael Cartier is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and a conservative columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.