SHIFTING GEARS - Driving is a metaphor for growing up and sex in the AU Players' production "How I Learned to Drive," which tells the story of Li'l Bit and her Uncle Peck. Their untraditional relationship is the focal point of the play, opening Thursday a

Bumpy ride on road to womanhood

'Drive' speeds youth

Adults tell kids not to grow up quickly. "Cherish childhood," they say. But what if someone is forced to grow up before they are ready?

Some see driving as a good example of one's shift into adulthood. The time eventually comes in teenager's lives when they learn how to drive. For some this experience is exhilarating, for others it is terrifying.

In Paula Vogel's play "How I Learned to Drive," a young girl's transition into adulthood is paralleled with her experience of learning how to drive. AU Players is now staging Vogel's Pulitzer Prize winning play. College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Doug Bojack directs the play, which explores the relationship between a young girl and her uncle, sexually and emotionally.

The audience sees the life of Li'l Bit (CAS sophomore Katie Burns-Yocum) through transitions from the past and present. The relationship between Li'l Bit and her aunt's husband, Uncle Peck (CAS junior Nick Jonczak) develops through stages of Li'l Bit's life. From high school to college, the audience watches as an uncle crosses boundaries and forces his young niece to transcend into adulthood before she is ready.

Despite the disturbing subject matter where an uncle sexually abuses his young niece, there lies a deeper meaning.

"It is dark, but it shows a fuller picture of her and her uncle's tale in a more human way," Bojack said. Though there are uncomfortable parts, there are also times where humor shines. From "girl talk" between three generations of females to women's drinking etiquette, the play not only talks about a young girl's struggle with sexual abuse, but her transition into a woman.

Despite the small cast, the play displays immense talent. CAS senior Diana Hutter, CAS junior Katie Lock and CAS sophomore Will Zeman grace the stage as they take on multiple roles throughout the play. Through their performances, the audience gains insight on how other characters view the relationship between Li'l Bit and her uncle.

While the play goes back and forth between years, driving terminology is used to show what year it is. From "shifting forward from third to fourth gear" and "going in reverse," this witty technique also reminds the audience of the play's central focus: driving.

Though the sexual relationship between an uncle and his niece could be seen as troubling, the play surprisingly shows a deeper meaning between the two. Li'l Bit and her uncle become comforts for one another, and though one can see Uncle Peck as a monster, one can also look at him as a father figure. He teaches his niece how to become a defensive driver and supports her desire to make something out of herself, which is more attention than anyone else gives her.

The play draws on themes such as love and forgiveness in a beautiful way. While a young girl learns how to drive onstage, the offstage audience will think differently about relationships in general.

With the beats of the 1950s in the background and the wind blowing by, there is nothing to do but buckle up and relax. It is going to be a bumpy ride, but it is worth it because "How I Learned to Drive," is the perfect destination.

"How I Learned to Drive" will play from Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Katzen Studio Theater. Tickets are $5 at the door.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.