What to wear where: fashion for every day

With a thousand new freshman sunbathing on the quad or finding their way to frat parties, we would like to offer the newbies - and the rest of campus, for that matter--- - some easy, appropriate and, most importantly, fashionable options for every part of college life.

The Problem: Parties provide the most opportunities for mistakes - girls inevitably over-dress and boys consistently under-dress.

The Solution for Girls: Save the heels and sequins for the club. Not only will you girls probably fall over in your five-inch stilettos, but that fancy dress or top is going to be ruined when someone hits your arm and your drink spills everywhere.

Instead, keep it casual - skinny jeans, flats, a cheap, flattering, colorful top and fun accessories will make you stand out. This way, you won't appear desperate. Instead, you'll seem relaxed and out to have a good time. Forever 21, located nearby at the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City, is a reliable source for cotton or jersey tops that can get stained without resulting in a dry-cleaning bill.

The Solution for Boys: Leave the gym clothes and last year's intramural soccer team shirt at home. Trust us guys, you're not going to attract any cute girls in boring old clothes.

In exchange for those basketball shorts, there are two options: khaki or colored shorts or dark, well-fitting jeans. Pair these with a polo, plain or bold-printed T-shirt. A button-down shirt is acceptable if it's your style, but remember to have one available for any club outings. The Gap and J.Crew can provide you with the basics, while Commander Salamander or Up Against the Wall, all located in Georgetown, stock comfy shirts with unique designs.

The Problem: Going to class is a hit-or-miss for many students as well. If your class is at 8:30 a.m., it's acceptable to wear sweats, as long as they are not bleach-stained or totally gross. But if it's 2:45 p.m., there is no excuse for mismatched hoodies and Soffe shorts.

The Solution: Everyday clothes like shorts and a T-shirt or a casual dress for girls will suffice with good accessories but throw a cardigan or sweatshirt into your bag. The air-conditioning in most of AU's buildings makes it much too cold to have both your legs and arms completely exposed. Girls, it is important to note that heels (excluding espadrilles), any form of sequins and fancy dresses are completely unnecessary around campus. You might end up looking like you're trying too hard.

The Problem: Going to an interview or internship can be extremely nerve-racking. It is difficult to know what is appropriate - especially since most college students stock up von casual clothing but lack more refined pieces in their wardrobe.

The Solution: Wear something classic, like a plain or pin-striped black suit, but pair it with a colorful or striped button-down shirt and interesting shoes. A '50s style silk handkerchief around the neck for girls or a knit tie for guys is also a great addition. Banana Republic and J. Crew offer excellent traditional options. Most importantly, dress the part. If your internship is in a corporate office, a collar and a tie are usually a must but don't forget to feel comfortable in your own skin; poise is the perfect counteractive to interview jitters.

Wherever you find yourself this year, remember: your clothing can help you express who you are and how you feel. Pairing a great outfit with your most important accessory, your personality, will attract the attention you want and ward off the attention you don't. And remember, it's easy to feel great when you look great!

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.