MO' MONEY, MO' PROBLEMS - Recent college graduate utilizes life experience to guide students through tumultuous financial years.

Torabi talks 'money' to college students

Farnoosh Torabi's book, "You're So Money," is a comprehensive guide to economic wealth and health for young people in the 21st century. Intended for college enrollees and recent graduates, Torabi's book explores the financial mishaps and mistakes of the modern 20-something and offers realistic, approachable solutions to a variety of issues.

Torabi's writing style manages to be engaging and approachable, yet avoids sounding excessively hip or young -- a faux pas prevalent in many books written for today's generation. Her words are fresh, witty and very often sassy, all while maintaining a distinct level of professionalism. As a recent college graduate herself, Torabi's advice is useful and her suggestions, all backed by money guru Jim Cramer, are attainable.

Torabi is appreciative and understanding of the financial woes of our generation, including mounting college debt, a heavy infatuation with luxury and an "I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now" attitude. Far too often financial guides suggest extreme measures for attaining financial security. Torabi's suggestions are all cohesive with the lifestyle enjoyed by most young people today, and her guide allows students to spend freely on what they want while still saving for the future and paying off debt through prioritization.

Torabi discusses the most prominent elements of financial independence and economic well being, from your best bet for banking options to credit scores and the stock market. Though it may be a few years before some college students participate in the stock market, her advice is still sound and her chapters on health and auto insurance, saving money in social situations and simple ways to save and make money in your daily life are immediately useful.

Of course, how could one write a financial guide for college students and not include a section on college debt? This daunting dilemma patiently awaiting your graduation may feel like an unbearable obstacle. But dry your tears - Torabi's explanation of college debt and how to handle it is perhaps the gem of this outstanding guide.

While "You're So Money" offers very useful tricks and tips for college students and recent graduates, it is useless beyond this age group. This book will be functional only as a doorstop for people older than 29 or who have not received a formal education beyond high school.

Despite its slim audience and lack of longevity concerning usefulness, "You're So Money" may be the best $15 you spend this year - and most likely to give you a return on your money.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.