Folk's fiercest female falters this 'year'

Ani DiFranco "Red Letter Year" (Righteous Babe Records) Sounds like: Spoken word in the midst of an identity crisis

Ani DiFranco, who has 19 albums and three EPs to her name, does little to make her newest offering, "Red Letter Year," stand out from her previous arsenal of feminist-driven lyrics and aggressive, acoustic sound. Though the album is lyrically deep, it takes too long to deliver DiFranco's signature sound and even longer to become sonically appealing.

DiFranco's lyrics have always been thoughtful and unassuming, and "Red Letter Year" is no different, showcasing DiFranco's talent for painting mundane activities into poetry. "Don't mind the stoner waiter or the poorly cooked food; Don't mind little miss kitty or her knuckle head dude ... long as I'm with you," she sings in "Smiling Underneath." Her talent for metaphors also shines in "Way Tight" - "It's just that kind of evening that cracks open like a half-shaken beer." DiFranco's lyrics are the highlight of the album, sincere and challenging, but at times overshadowed by the music.

The album's downfall is its chaotic instrumentation. The opening track, "Red Letter Year," is a jumble of guitars, strings, bells and brass. Though owning a catchy little piano riff, the cacophony makes it impossible to concentrate on any one sound. "Red Letter Year Reprise," the last track, is an instrumental version laden with horns and hand claps that's snazzy and fun, but totally out of place in the otherwise acoustic-driven album. Halfway through the album, DiFranco reaches her trademark acoustic, vocal-driven, vicious ballads, but by then it's too late to salvage "Red Letter Year."

Though any fan will find this album a must for their collection, DiFranco's newest work is an album the casual Ani-listener can do without.

-TRACI J. BROOKS