NO SHAME - Brooklyn indie rockers take their blend of queercore and traditional Israeli folk music to the Black Cat Thursday night.

Shondes bring 'Red Sea' to D.C.

Debut album spans borders, blends genres

Politics and music have always been a powerful combination. Events like Woodstock and organizations like Rock the Vote stand as hallmarks, boasting the success of such a blend. And now, a new band on the scene adds its name to the ranks.

"We're obviously not a political organization," Temim Fruchter, drummer and vocalist for The Shondes said. "We're all committed to a number of different types of activism and work in our community. But we're passionate people and we're activists in our lives so we bring a lot of that stuff into our music."

Their activism is what brought the four band members together. Fruchter met bassist and vocalist Louisa Solomon, guitarist Ian Brannigan and violinist and vocalist Elijah Oberman through their political work in the Brooklyn community. They shared a desire for justice in Palestinian and Israeli politics, as well as their involvement in the queer community. The four teamed up to create The Shondes, a moniker taken from the Yiddish word meaning "shame" or "disgrace."

But The Shondes certainly aren't ashamed of their inventive and melodic sound. Their blend of Jewish folk, punk and classical music is both energetic and soothing. Multiple harmonies and varying vocals, teamed with the combination of violin and crunchy guitars are both electric and haunting. Their debut album, "The Red Sea," was released in early 2008, and the band is now embarking on a tour in support of the album. They will kick off their U.S. tour Thursday evening at the Black Cat.

"We've been on a few long tours together, and I think every time it's really awesome to spend time seeing the country and it's really awesome to get to spend so much time doing what we love to do," Fruchter said.

The live experience is particularly important to hir (Fruchter prefers this gender nonspecific personal pronoun, instead of "his" or "her") personal role as a musician, Fruchter added.

When watching other live performances, "I am always just so fascinated by the dynamics on stage, and by watching the musical relationships unfold," Fruchter said.

Anyone attending a Shondes show can expect a glimpse into the band members' connection with each other, as well as to experience their excitement and love of performing.

"It's so important to us to really perform and convey," Fruchter said. "For us, I think the live show is ... the center of so much excitement."

But the concerts are also a chance for The Shondes to open dialogue about the issues close to their hearts, like anti-racism and the necessity for justice for the Palestinians in their displacement from Israel.

"It's been overwhelmingly good," Fruchter said of the response from the audience. "I think for us, any time there's controversy or a question, the outcome is that we get to have a really good conversation with someone at our merch table."

At Thrusday's concert, attendees can expect to hear tracks from the band's first full-length studio album, "The Red Sea." Fruchter describes the album as "textured" and a "narrative."

"The album is very much about storytelling for me," Fruchter said, adding that since it was The Shondes first album, it was important to make this album a potpourri of their individual and collective stories.

Fruchter said the recording process for the album pushed the band "to articulate even further what we wanted." The result is a blend of many different styles that manages to fulfill the expectations of punk, queercore and traditional Jewish folk music but offers a forceful yet symphonic sound that still provides a groovable beat.

When combining anti-Zionist politics, the histories of queer and feminist music and traditional Jewish culture, one might doubt The Shondes' musical and social success. However, they showcase a unified sound on their debut, deftly constructing complex songs and melodies.

"It is important to identify [with our histories while] trying to expand beyond those monikers and making music that can reach as many people as possible," Fruchter said.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.