HOT SPOTS - The 9:30 club (above) hosts bands for every musical interest in an intiminte setting so you can see your favorites or new discoveries up close and personal at reasonable prices. Kelsey Dickey/THE EAGLE

A Guide to: Weekends in the District

Although going to the monuments at night is cool, you can only do it so many times before it loses its mystique. And as awesome as the Smithsonian museums are, they, too, tend to become a little boring after awhile. Have no fear, though. Beyond the staple diet of monuments and museums, the District houses an array of events and restaurants to keep even the most veteran Washingtonians enticed. Below is just a sample of the typical AU haunts.

MUSIC MAVENS

9:30 club
WHERE: 815 V St. N.W.
METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines)
HOURS: Vary
PRICE RANGE: $12-$78
From indie bands to '80s rock, the 9:30 club carries a show schedule that appeals to every taste. Tickets are cheap and the venue offers fans the opportunity to get up-close and personal with the talent.

Kennedy Center
WHERE: 2700 F St. N.W.
METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines)
HOURS: Vary
PRICE RANGE: Free to $600
For a night of sophistication, the Kennedy Center hosts symphonies, ballets, operas and the occasional pop-rocker. For those on a strict budget, the Millennium Stage hosts free shows from traditional chamber ensembles to folk dancing to pop culture every night at 6 p.m.

The Rock and Roll Hotel
WHERE: 1353 H St. N.E.
METRO: Union Station (red line)
HOURS: 7 p.m.-2:30 a.m.
PRICE RANGE: Free to $20
For local indie talent, check out this bar and stage. Don't be fooled by the name, the venue is one tiny room where the talent intermixes with the crowd.

SUPER SHOPPING

Eastern Market
WHERE: Seventh Street and North Carolina Avenue S.E.
METRO: Eastern Market (blue and orange lines)
HOURS: Sat-Sun: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
An open-air venue, the market sells fresh fruit and vegetables and homemade arts and crafts. Within the gated fence is what can only be described as an international flea market.

MUNCHIES PAST MIDNIGHT

The Diner
WHERE: 2459 18th St. N.W.
METRO: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan (red line)
HOURS: 24 hours a day
PRICE RANGE: Entrees under $14
Hidden among dive bars and nightclubs, this spot is exactly what the name suggests. The Diner carries the ambiance of a lounge but its menu stays true to its mom-and-pop heritage.

Tastee Diner
WHERE: 7731 Woodmont Ave. N.W.
Bethesda, Md.
METRO: Bethesda (red line)
HOURS: 24 hours a day
PRICE RANGE: Entrees under $12
If you're looking for an authentic diner, Tastee Diner is where to go. With a range of standard diner fare, it's worth sidling up to the counter with the regulars.

THE SWEETER SIDE OF THE CITY

Sticky Fingers Bakery
WHERE: 1370 Park Road N.W.
METRO: Columbia Heights (green and yellow lines)
HOURS: Mon-Thurs: 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Fri: 7 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sat: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
PRICE RANGE: $4- $11
Check out this bakery for coffee with a humanitarian twist. This all-vegan café extends its agenda beyond the menu: They refuse service to anyone wearing fur. Bottom line: this bakery makes a latte that's worth putting away the mink coat for.

Café Bonaparte
WHERE: 1522 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
METRO: Use 30, 31, 32, 36, 37 buses on the Wisconsin Avenue line
HOURS: Mon-Thurs: 10 a.m.-11 p.m.; Fri-Sat: 10 a.m.-1 a.m., Sun: 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
PRICE RANGE: Entrees are $7 to $22
The Parisian creperie and coffee shop offers a sweet and savory menu filled with specialty coffees and inventive cocktails. This plush café is the perfect location for a weekend brunch that won't break the bank.

Georgetown Cupcake
WHERE: 1209 Potomac St. N.W.
HOURS: Sun: noon-5 p.m.; Mon: closed; Tues-Fri: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sat: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
PRICE RANGE: Cupcakes $2.75 each
One of several specialty cupcake boutiques popping up around the city, Georgetown Cupcake offers 12 varieties of cupcake on any given day. $2.75 is a bargain for a single cupcake after a long day of shopping in Georgetown.

Staff writer Kristen Powell contributed to this story.