Take a short study break for thoughts of love

As the semester draws to an end and work starts building up, sex sometimes takes a backseat. So, in my last sex column, I chose to voice some views I hold on sex and relationships.

The first point I want to make is that humans are mammals, meaning we are Homo sapiens and part of the animal kingdom, according to Linnaean taxonomy. The reason I bring this up is because sex is part of our genetic makeup. It is as natural to us as eating, sleeping and drinking. So, why is it something our society believes should be hidden or not addressed?

Though there have been great strides in coming to terms with the sexual nature of humans, it is still something people generally prefer to keep behind closed doors. So, the next time you decide to get all high and mighty, just remember, to quote Bloodhound Gang: "You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel."

With finals right around the corner, it is also a good time to make a point for everyone here who will have to deal with all-nighters, six coffees and three Red Bulls in a night.

Emotional needs - like relationships and sex - get pushed aside for things we view as more pertinent. Grades are important now. But how much better will your life be because you got an A- instead of a B+ plus in college writing, statistics, world politics or intermediate microeconomics? Try not to get too stressed out and remember that in the grand scheme of things, a one-tenth-of-a-point boost in your grade point average doesn't really matter.

Life is too short and there is not enough love in the world. Classes and grades come and go, cause you stress and force you to lose sleep. Relationships lead to love, creativity, joy and pain - all the great things that let you know you're still alive.

With these emotions, the best thing is to live passionately, speak with emphasis and try to find someone to share your life with (or at least, knock boots with for a night).

If you try to play things aloof, removed or nonchalant, you will probably regret it at a later date. Don't play games with people when you are in a relationship or even just hooking up. It may be amusing, but it wastes a lot of time. You'll look back on the last 18 to 22 years of your life and realize how quickly they have flown by.