RAISING AWARENESS - AU students march past the Kogod School of Business during Take Back the Night Tuesday evening. The event, which also included time for people to give testimonials in Kay Spiritual Life Center, was held to raise awareness of domestic v

Students march to 'take back the night'

AU students took part Tuesday evening in Take Back the Night as part of a worldwide event meant to raise awareness of domestic violence and date rape.

The event included a rally and march around the university's main campus, followed by a musical performance, candlelight vigil and testimonials in Kay Spiritual Life Center.

During the march, participants chanted loudly and blew whistles as they marched around the perimeter of campus in an effort to "reclaim the night," according to Colleen Smith, Take Back the Night's program coordinator.

The march began in front of Hughes Hall and circled through the Woods-Brown Amphitheater, the tunnel, the Letts-Anderson Quad, through the main quad and ended in front of Kay.

Student Government President Joe Vidulich, who participated in the event, said it was an important way to raise awareness of sexual assault.

"It gives an opportunity for the community to speak as one very, very loud voice to stop people from doing terrible things," he said.

Dan Torres, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, said he participated in the march so he could provide a voice for some of his friends who had been victims of rape and sexual assault.

"I'm taking back the night because I can and I want to use my voice for those who can't," he said.

Julie Smolinski, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she worked on advertising for Take Back the Night because she wanted to get involved in Women's Initiative.

"Take Back the Night shows that [the issue of sexual assault] is very real, and it is pervasive," she said.

The overall turnout for the rally was good, according to Women's Initiative Director Vanessa Mueller.

Planning for Take Back the Night began in September, Smith said. More than 100 volunteers were involved in lead-up projects and the event itself.

One of the lead-up projects to Take Back the Night included a white ribbon campaign, according to Smith.

"The white ribbons around campus are made to highlight the male role in preventing rape," she said.

Members of several fraternities wore white ribbons, according to Smith.

Another lead-up was the "clothesline project," Smith said. Students hung painted T-shirts around Mary Graydon Center. The art on the shirts depicts people's feelings on or personal experiences of sexual assault.

It was not easy to plan the event, but it was extremely rewarding, Smith said.

"It's an emotional roller-coaster," she said.

Take Back the Night has been an AU tradition since 2004, according to Mueller.

"This is important to a lot of people, and we hope we can do it justice," she said.

Press was not allowed to enter Kay while people gave testimonials. However, there was an acoustic musical performance by Kyrie Bannar, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, according to Mueller.

Adam Zarrin, a freshman in CAS who watched the march as he exited the School of International Service Building, said he was not exactly clear what the goal of the participants was.

"I know very little about it, except that it is about raising awareness for sexual assault," he said.

Zarrin said the protest could have been more effective if it sought to advocate against drug and alcohol abuse.

"[Drugs and alcohol] can be major factors in sexual assault," he said.

Josh Kaplan, a freshman in SIS who watched the march, said the march fulfilled its goal in its own right.

"It might not change people's minds," he said. "But it makes it clear that people really care"