FARAWAY EYES - Stones' guitarist Keith Richards shares an intimate rock 'n' roll moment with blues legend Buddy Guy in Martin Scorsese's new documentary, "Shine a Light." Baby boomer critics have expressed their love for the film.

Critics neglect docs on modern rock bands

Baby boomer bias skews reviews

Martin Scorsese's "Shine A Light," a film documenting the Rolling Stones' fall 2006 two-night performance at New York City's Beacon Theater, recalls one of his earlier documentary works - "The Last Waltz," which is about The Band's farewell concert.

Many film critics - including Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert, New York Times critic Stephen Holden and Washington Post critic Desson Thomson - couldn't help mentioning this film in their reviews of "Shine A Light." It's an easy reference to make (this writer just did), but in doing so, the critics have rendered themselves and their own tastes transparent. Other rock documentaries that are generally regarded as the best of the genre are "Woodstock" (1970), "Gimme Shelter" (1970), "Don't Look Back" (1967) and "No Direction Home" (2005).

The similarity they share is much too apparent: the rock 'n' roll history of the '60s and '70s. Given that many prominent film critics grew up during this time period - Ebert is 65, Holden is 66 and Thomson is 50 - it's not surprising that such a bias exists.

Do you think Ebert caught Les Savy Fav's performance on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," during which lead singer Tim Harrington strutted about the stage, ripping off a rainbow of colored T-shirts one item at a time? Doubtful.

Here's some proof that the rock music documentary (and the rock music itself) didn't die out after print media's venerated film critics settled down.

"Hype!" (1996): This film, directed by Doug Pray, poignantly documents the rise of the grunge movement in Seattle and its spread across the nation during the early 1990s. The film illuminates the cultural movement's roots and its effect on the world. What is perhaps most interesting is the similarities this rock and roll redefinition shares with previous rock 'n' roll redefinitions.

Just as Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead fostered the psychedelic rock movement in San Francisco before record companies stormed the city offering to sign just about every band in sight, the grunge culture was quickly appropriated after such bands as Mudhoney and Green River achieved minor success. Of course, the documentary includes plenty of excellent concert footage, including the first documented performance of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

"I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" (2002): Fashion photographer Sam Jones felt so passionately about Wilco's music that he decided to create a film documenting the production of the band's album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." What he ended up filming was their struggle to stay afloat in a record industry that never takes chances and hardly rewards experimentation.

Jones photographs the band with stunning intimacy, often managing to record compelling concert footage with the aid of only two cameras. His interviews reveal a great deal of the pain and stress that Wilco experienced when their old label, Reprise, refused to release "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and subsequently dropped them.

"loudQUIETloud" (2006): "Shine A Light" might reveal what it's like to continue rocking until you've passed retirement age. But what happens if a band that never gained widespread popularity breaks up and then gets back together around the time that all the original members are hitting middle age? Well, if that band were Pixies, they would most certainly have a sold-out world tour on their hands. "loudQUIETloud" documents the tour first-hand, revealing the members' mixed emotions concerning the reunion and subsequent tour. The shaky rehearsals provide one of the film's funniest sequences, but once the Pixies get back into their groove, they rock harder than they ever have before.