MORE DRAMA, PLEASE - The Woolly Mammoth Theatre's production of playwright David Adjmi's "Stunning" features a modern, satirical story of materialism and drama in the Syrian-Jewish community of Brooklyn. Directed by Anne Kauffman, the play follows 16-year

'Stunning' set, acting show humor in drama

Woolly Mammoth Theatre's new main-stage production, "Stunning," by David Adjmi, takes on serious issues of tradition versus modernity with breathtaking success. True to Woolly's typical fare, "Stunning" brings comedy to the forefront of modern drama.

The play takes place in Brooklyn, in a wealthy residence within the tight-knit Syrian-Jewish community Adjmi calls home.

Adjmi's story revolves around Lily, a teenage newlywed expected, customarily, to bear children by the barrelful. But when Lily hires a new maid, Blanche, a black lesbian, she is opened up to a world completely outside her own. Lily's slimy, middle-aged husband Ike quickly develops a dislike for the new maid's ideas, leading the play from melodramatic satire to ferocious drama.

Adjmi successfully transcends far beyond the Syrian-Jewish community by exploring themes such as materialism, the power of a lie and the danger of knowledge. Adjmi's ending, however, has the potential to confuse, as he allows the plot to sink deep into chaos.

Staged by celebrated New York director Anne Kauffman ("The Thugs," "God's Ear"), the production of Adjmi's work was, in a word, stunning.

Set designer Daniel Conway designed an impressive set, which consisted of a breathtaking two-story home complete with sliding walls and twisting mirrors. Kauffman, known for his hold on New Age, exploratory plays, maps the transitions between scenes deftly, enthralling the audience as the set transforms.

The performances, led by Laura Heisler (Lily) and Quincy Tyler Bernstine (Blanche), were also exceptional. Heisler's fantastic Brooklyn accent kept the audience laughing until Bernstine's desperation stole its breath. Supporting roles by Gabriela Fernandez-Coffey (Shelly) and Clinton Brandhagen (JoJo) complemented the leads wonderfully.

Undeniable professionalism leaves nothing but personal preference to make or break a show at the Woolly. If you're looking for a place to start experiencing the D.C. theater scene, Woolly offers cutting-edge theater that appeals to a diverse audience.

"Stunning" is running on Woolly's main stage until April 6. Tickets start at $24 but Woolly's "25 AND UNDER" program offers $15 tickets to attendees under 25. Other specials are available and can be found on its Web site, www.woollymammoth.net.