GOP GABBING - Former Ohio Secretary of State and 2006 Ohio Republican gubernatorial nominee Kenneth Blackwell discusses the party's possible strategies for the 2008 presidential election.

Panel: GOP needs to develop '08 strategies

The Republican Party needs two different campaign strategies depending on which candidate wins the Democratic Party's presidential primary, "The Almanac of American Politics" author Michael Barone said during a panel discussion on Republican election strategies at AU last night.

All five of the former perceived frontrunners for the Republican presidential nomination had strong campaign strategies, and all of them failed, he said.

"McCain just got lucky," Barone said.

McCain's biggest obstacle is establishing a group of loyal supporters, according to National Review columnist Byron York.

"There is an enormous intensity gap that Republicans are facing," he said.

York compared McCain's tame following to Huckabee's passionate unpaid supporters, who volunteered to make phone calls and created advertisements with their own personal resources. McCain will find it difficult but essential to establish such support during the general election, he said.

Republicans need to learn to be radical, according to former Maryland Lt. Gov. and 2006 Republican Maryland Senate candidate Michael Steele.

"One thing Republicans don't do is play hardball," he said. "We play nice ball."

Becoming more radical and influential supporters is the only way Republicans can win the election. This also applies to Congress, Steele said.

"Ninety percent of incumbents win most years, but I think the candidate who depends on that this year is very unwise," Barone said.

He discussed the importance of maintaining 41 Republican seats to stop Democratic motions.

The panel focused much of the discussion on battleground states, particularly Ohio. Former Ohio Secretary of State and 2006 Republican Ohio gubernatorial candidate Kenneth Blackwell said that regardless of who the Democratic nominee is, McCain would need to project competency in defending the nation's borders, prosecute war confidently and appear more ideological.

If Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is the nominee, he will be seen as the radical candidate while McCain will be seen as the predictable and solid choice. If Sen. Hillary Clinton, D- N.Y., wins the nomination, it will be a classic liberal-versus-conservative fight. Ohio will be one of the most influential states because no Republican has made it to the White House without Ohio's support, Blackwell said.

Seth Johnson, a 2007 graduate from the School of Public Affairs, said he came to the event because he is a fan of Steele and Blackwell. He said he was glad Steele took a more controversial stance, and Republicans should be out there fighting.

"Just as he said, if they're going to win, they're going to have to fight it," Johnson said.

AU's chapter of the College Republicans and the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies sponsored the event.