Fun in the sun: Healthy break tips

Ah, spring break. What could be better? You've got your fun, your sun and your scandalously low alcohol-consumption age limits abroad. Unless, of course, you are going home to Connecticut, in which case it probably will entail hours of uneventful daytime TV and special fun with Mom and Dad. Don't worry, most of us have been there. But back to those of us who are doing something fun for spring break.

Wherever you are going - whether it is Corpus Christi, Miami or Punta Cana - and however you are doing it - at a resort, on a cruise or in the Motel 6 - all that really seems to matter is that for one week you get away from winter weather and midterms.

It may be because we have been running on warp speed since January, or maybe it is because of the fact that we are away from almost everyone we know, but spring break can become more of a reckless binge-drinking and sex festival than a chance to relax on the beach. It is also important to remember that in one week, whether you have third degree sunburns on half of your body, you must still return to your normal life.

Most of us have already read in the AU bathroom stalls the importance of making good choices during spring break. In case you've been avoiding the bathrooms - and who can blame you - you should not drink excessively or engage in unprotected sexual activities. Now that that's covered, let us move on.

Limiting your alcohol intake on the beach is important, but not just for the obvious reasons. Alcohol consumption and hot sun are a bad mix. Drinking alcohol dehydrates the body, causing a person to be more prone to heat exhaustion, which, if left untreated, leads to heat stroke.

If you can't pass up the piña coladas, then your best bet is to make sure you are drinking just as much water.

Speaking of water, drinkers beware! In places like the Dominican Republic and Mexico, it can be unsafe to drink tap water, even in your fancy hotel. If you are going to a locale with unsafe drinking water, then avoid it at all costs.

You should drink and use bottled or boiled water, even when brushing your teeth. Water you aren't accustomed to drinking can carry disease-causing organisms. At the least, drinking it might cause diarrhea, which definitely puts a damper on spring break fun.

I know your mom has probably already sent you six e-mails reminding you about this, but sunscreen is a must. The closer you get to the equator, the stronger the ultraviolet rays. Even if it seems like a cloudy day, the sun's rays are much stronger in the Bahamas than in D.C. Coming back with a tan is nice, but coming back with third degree burns is not.

Now that we are on a healthy track, we might as well throw in a good workout. Spring break is a great opportunity to try your exercise routine in a beautiful new location, like running on white sandy beaches or to try out a fun new exercise.

Take advantage of activities around where you are staying. Some popular vacation workouts include snorkeling, hiking and water skiing.

Spring break should be a memorable time, but not for the wrong reasons. Although sunscreen and bottled water may not be the highlight of my vacation next week, I look forward to enjoying my friends and the beach, without that annoying water, alcohol and sun-poisoning thing.