HAVING A BALL - Director Kent Alterman's "Semi-Pro" is a '70s-driven film featuring actor Will Ferrell in yet another comedic role. Ferrell's campy character, Jackie Moon, purchases his local ABA basketball team and must settle a merger with the NBA by wi

Ferrell flick 'Semi'-good

Review: SEMI-PRO: B-

No one expects anything original from "Semi-Pro," Kent Alterman's directorial debut and Will Ferrell's latest venture. The story, written by Scot Armstrong of "Road Trip" and "Old School" fame, is a predictable mix of comedic scenes strung together with just the tiniest dash of adversity to make the sports montages relevant. Frankly, though, a substantial dose of laughs helps this trite film go down smoothly.

The story revolves around Ferrell's Jackie Moon, whose hit funk single "Love Me Sexy" has enabled him to purchase the local ABA basketball team, the Flint Tropics. If the name of the song was not a giveaway, the '70s funk serves as the film's major aesthetic. This may prove to be the film's saving grace.

Ferrell, in typical form, incorporates the awkward, period-driven comedy he developed with his character in "Anchorman," though this touch works more toward supporting his fellow cast member than elevating his own character. André Benjamin (of OutKast fame) and the rest of the gaggle of lovable losers inhabit the '70s nicely, making the bawdy jokes and physical comedy come across as familiar and satisfying. Woody Harrelson, along with his ridiculous hairstyle, even seems to work well next to the '70s video game visual motif, despite his underdeveloped story line, which involves redemption with an old love and his own less-than-stellar career.

As the ABA's merger with the NBA looms, Ferrell and the team are forced to clean up their act and start winning games. If they don't, the merger threatens to bury the legacies of his team and his late mother. Fully aware that viewers don't exactly care who wins or loses, the cast and crew keep the laughs coming. The sappiness, thankfully, doesn't leave you feeling too sticky.

Where some of Ferrell's recent efforts have fallen flat, his work on "Semi-Pro" appears to succeed: The audience seemed to respond to all of the jokes and gross-outs as intended. Certainly, no one at the screening expected to see a defining comedy, but still, the possibility of failure loomed. After all, Ferrell's last film was "Blades of Glory." Some unfortunate moviegoers remember how bad that film was.

While "Semi-Pro" may not contain the number of repeatable quotes some recently memorable comedies do, the film will certainly send its audiences home with a giggle and a few scenes to discuss later on with friends.