Candidates tackle issues on ATV

Three Student Government presidential candidates discussed issues of transparency and bureaucracy and came to a consensus that they would grade current SG President Joe Vidulich's administration at as a B or B+ during the ATV-Eagle SG Presidential Debate Saturday.

ATV News anchor Daniel Pineda, Eagle editorial page editor Tony Romm and current SG President Joe Vidulich moderated the debate, which ATV broadcast last night. During the debate, Pineda asked about the effectiveness of Vidulich's year in office.

Class of 2009 Senator Jillian Rubino said she generally approves of the current SG administration but thinks the SG needs to continue increasing diversity within the body.

"Something that I think may have been ignored ... [is] diversity within the SG," Rubino said.

Senate Clerk Seth Cutter said the administration could have done more to improve the SG Web site.

"It could be a better resource," Cutter said.

Class of 2009 Senator Jason Cunningham said Vidulich did well in addressing student concerns, but that clearer communication between branches of government would be more effective.

The rules of the debate allowed for each of the moderators to ask a question, to which each candidate had 30 seconds to respond. If the panelists sought a follow-up, the candidate would have an additional 30 seconds. If a candidate attacked another candidate or his or her platform, the candidate could deliver a 30-second rebuttal.

The second segment of the debate allowed the candidates to each ask one other candidate a question. Moderators followed this with an additional questioning period in the same format as the first part of the debate. Candidates then gave 60-second closing statements.

Two candidates - Ohemaa Nyanin, a junior in the School of International Service and the School of Communication, and write-in candidate Tim Neal, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, were unable to attend and participate in the debate.

Vidulich asked the candidates what their top priorities would be once the winner enters office May 1.

Cunningham said he intends to get meal plans accepted in more places on campus.

"To only have few places to use [meal swipes] is really unacceptable," Cunningham said.

Senate Clerk Seth Cutter and Rubino said they want to encourage more openness within AU's administrative bureaucracy.

"In order to help the students, we really need to be a transparent body and allow students better access to the SG," Rubino said.

Vidulich also asked the candidates how they plan to be accessible to the student body, if elected.

Cunningham said he intended to spend time in the office and meet with campus groups and clubs.

Cutter said he did not agree with Cunningham's approach to the issue and said students need more visibility from the SG president.

"We have to go and seek out student opinions, not just stay in the office," Cutter said.

Out of the three candidates at the debate, Rubino was the only one seeking to raise the Student Activity fee. The fee rise would provide more money for clubs, Rubino said.

Cunningham and Cutter agreed that a raise in the fee would not be necessary at this time.