Quirky dates can conquer February 'blahs'

Fun ways to keep spark alive

How do you keep the spark going when you and your partner are spending your evenings glued to your computer screen or stuck in the library? The mid-semester "blahs" can be hard to beat, but here are some tips.

First, keep in mind that all relationships have their lulls, and just because you have fallen into a rut, it doesn't mean you can't get out of it. If you both have a free night, consider making it a date night. Try to do something different or new every week - it will give you an excuse to get out into city and take a break from work for a while.

For inexpensive food, consider Teaism in Dupont Circle, which offers a wide selection of tea and reasonably priced dishes. The upstairs area is small and cozy, and sharing a pot of tea and dessert makes for a romantic evening.

If a teahouse is not your thing and you want something more adventurous, try going to a hockey game. The Washington Capitals sell student rush tickets for $10 and $25. If your wallet can't take the hit, try going to one of the Smithsonian museums. The National Postal Museum and the Anacostia Community Museum are also free and may offer something new to see. Also, try double dates with mutual friends. This can help keep the mood light and fun.

Trying new things can also help eliminate lulls in your sex life. It is important that your partner be comfortable in your sex life. Otherwise, showing up with complicated or intimidating sex toys may turn a lull into a terrified retreat.

If you want something that will surprise your partner, try new satin sheets, lingerie or a book of new positions. You can also try having sex in new places, but be smart about it. Sex in public places can be hot, but it can also get you in trouble. As tempting as the steps of Kogod might be for a midnight romp, a weekend in a bed and breakfast in Adams Morgan or even an inexpensive hotel in Bethesda might serve your purposes better.

Whatever you do, be creative about getting things back on track. Most people like a little adventure and excitement in their lives, so whatever you can do to keep things interesting helps. You are bound to see results if you both work at it and communicate openly with each other.

Before we sign off this week, we would like to mention one thing that was brought to our attention by one of our readers. We mentioned using chocolate sauce as a tool to spice up your relationship for Valentine's Day, but we forgot to clarify where to use it.

Food products, especially sugary ones, should not be used on the genital areas, since they can irritate or cause yeast infection. So, when breaking out the chocolate, honey or whipped cream in the future, keep it on the torso, legs or arms. If you really need to spread something that is a little more all-terrain, we recommend you invest in some flavored lubes. Some of our favorite brands are Sliquid or Astroglide; try them in Cherry and Mango Orange.

As always, we'd love to hear your questions, comments and tales of high seas adventure at insearchofbooty@gmail.com.