Protect your body before, after sex

Anyone who is sexually active should be prepared to confront sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Despite what you learned in your abstinence-only high school sex ed course, you won't get every STI every time you have sex, but when you are unprotected and exposed, you run the risk of getting chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, HPV and HIV, among others.

And despite what you may have heard from the Casanova on your floor, you can catch one of these even if you don't have intercourse. STIs such as chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV can be transmitted through oral and anal sex, in addition to vaginal intercourse (yes, the Center for Disease Control says you can contract HIV through oral sex, especially if either party has a cut or open sore).

You also must guard against those infections that you can acquire through skin-to-skin contact - syphilis, herpes and HPV. Additionally, you can contract crabs through close contact with someone who has it or linens they have come in contact with. Although this is not an exhaustive list, we feel these are the ones that will most likely send you packing to the Student Health Center.

Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to reduce your risk. When getting involved with a new partner, it is important to always check below decks before setting sail - that is, check out your partner (with the lights on), and if something doesn't seem right, say something. Many STIs have no symptoms or show very mild ones, so your partner may not realize there is a problem. Yes, we know this isn't sexy, but it is necessary to protect yourself and your partner.

And, in a statement so obvious that we shouldnít have to say it, you and your partner should always be tested for STIs before beginning a sexual relationship. Before you say that you don't have time or know where to go for this, the Student Health Center offers free gonorrhea and chlamydia testing, as well as HIV testing with a visiting fee.

The $15 and 30 minutes you spend for the HIV test can prevent a lifetime of treatment. According to an article in the Los Angeles Times, prescribed HIV drugs like Truvada and Atripla can cost $850 and $1,300 a month, respectively. The drug treatments can be covered by insurance and anyone uninsured can get free HIV medications through state programs, but wait lists for receiving medication have grown, the article added.

Also, keep in mind that reducing your risk of acquiring an STI requires that you and your partner be in a monogamous relationship. Having untested, outside sex (even that one-time hookup) means that you run the risk of contracting an STI and transmitting it to your partner. Admitting to a drunken mistake may be hard (and may ultimately hurt your relationship), but if you don't do it, you could expose your partner to serious risks. With that in mind, alcohol and sex is never a good mix (from both a health and a legal perspective).

Once both of you are sober, tested and ready to get your groove on, there are ways to minimize your risk. A good start is to always be sure you are using an unexpired latex or polyurethane condom, but keep in mind that any uncovered areas can lead to STI transmission.

For acts such as oral sex (on a woman) and anal rimming, use a dental dam - a stretchy square of latex that is used as a barrier between your mouth and your partner. If you haven't had time to make it to your local sex shop, you can use non-microwaveable plastic wrap or a non-lubricated condom with the tip cut off and cut up the side.

That concludes our yarn of high seas adventures this week, and as always, we want to hear what you, our fellow buccaneers, have to say. E-mail us your questions, concerns and criticisms at insearchofbooty@gmail.com.